Senior Spotlight: Henry Gemerek

“Hungry Hungry Henry”

Henry Gemerek is one of the most handsome, uplifting, and confident men you can have the pleasure of meeting. His high school career has been marked by excellence; regarding friends, sports, and academics. He is class of 2024. Henry grew up in Windsor Forest, a tight-knit neighborhood that attended Dj Montague Elementary, James Blair Middle School, and Lafayette High School. Growing up in such a supportive and friendly environment has allowed Henry’s personality to be that of a good friend, hard worker, and passionate teammate. Henry’s friends are made up of those from his childhood and teammates with whom he has labored. Although I can’t speak for him, he seems to have no lack of people who respect and cherish him.

Henry Gemerek posing victoriously with the trophy after winning XC Regionals (Dell Parker)

Henry has participated in cross country, indoor track, outdoor track, swimming, rec basketball, school and club soccer. Throughout the entire schoolyear henry is doing two sports, an incredible feat, especially considering the classes he’s been enrolled in. A pure example of a truly hard worker.  Henry has been an athlete all his life, participating  in rec and travel soccer growing up, as well as summer swim with his neighborhood friends. He does not only participate in his sports but rather excels at each one. He has attained a sub 17 min 5k, solidifying him as a great cross country athlete. During track he is very versatile running anything from the 800m to the 2 mile. He is a key member in Lafayette’s 4×8 team and DMR which set a school record. I first met henry at cross county practice his sophomore year. Unfortunately we were not immediately friends, mostly due to the hesitation ,I, like most freshmen experience when it comes to beginning conversation with those older and cooler than them.  Although I stuck to running and conversing mostly with other freshman I immediately knew henry was awesome, he had my respect just by the way he carried himself. My judgment was true as it turned out.

Quentin Trowbridge, Henry Gemerek and the varsity Lafayette cross country team posing with their trophy after winning regionals. (Chere Lobash)

As i grew closer with the team as a whole I had the great pleasure of sharing warm summer mornings, late winter nights, and sunny spring afternoons training with him. I share fond memories of getting breakfast with him and the team after summer morning cross country practices. When it comes to this year in particular I have been so proud to have him be a captain for me in my cross country, and track practices. There’s no-one id rather be led by. Its clear he’s a natural leader, made clear by his charisma, focus confidence and organization.  Henry and I grew especially close this year as we began to run similar 5k times in the middle of the season before he ripped out of a plateau and had some big PR’s. I had the honor of helping decorate his senior poster for senior night, which he seemed to like. Like many others I will always consider him a great friend and will miss him greatly as he continues onto college, where I know he will continue to do great things.

Henry Gemerek recovering after his 1.5 mile leg at RVA relays. (Dell Parker)