Twitter Rebrands name to “X”

No more Tweeting!
    New X logo that replaced Twitter. Credit Alexander Shatov

Twitter, a popular social media platform has announced a major change in rebranding.  The site announced a major change, they are no longer Twitter, but now will be known simply by X. In recent months this change has topped headlines and been a major spotlight in the new and the applications users. Twitter has been around for almost 2 decades, is a popluar way for people to get their news, post social interactions and find new products.

Elon Musk CEO and owner of Tesla and X. Photographed by Debbie Rowe

Twitter was launched on March 21, 2006, by Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone, and Evan Williams. Being around for such a long time, Twitter has become a core for social media platforms. Twitter brings news, sports, entertainment, and many other huge industries together in one where news and announcements can be seen. Twitter is also a functions for social media aspects like sharing what is most recent in a person’s life and most popular celebrities and drama.  

With the recent purchase of the platform by Elon Musk, he has decided to make legislative changes to the app. Apart from the name change, to continue to be verified, you have to pay a monthly fee which troubled many celebrities. As Elon Musk purchased the app, he had a great influence as well as many changes like paywalls to be verified, a limit to how many posts you can read a day, as well as new features regarding tweeting. With Elon owning the company and being a relatively conservative voice, many employees quit.  

Credit: Sara Kurfeß
    Twitter logo on a iPhone

The new name “X” implies that it is an app for everyone. In math terms, x can be defined as anything. Elon Musk’s motive was that it should be a community for everyone not just modern people and its typical users. The name gives a broader interpretation of the app a not just one thing. Along with the new name comes a new logo, design, color, and branding. A new logo with a futuristic font and sleek color combinations to make it look more modern and newer. The app also comes with a reorganized interface making it easier to navigate for all users. Privacy and security settings have also received improvements making the app safe for all users.   

As the change sets in the community, it has been met with split reactions. Some are not happy and like the originality of Twitter as it has been the main social media platform along with Facebook for so many years. The other half of users are excited about the changes and don’t mind that the app is getting revamped, being able to welcome all kinds of users and seeing a fresh community.  

The social media industry hasn’t seen many changes as crucial as this in any other platform. Instagram, Snapchat as well as Facebook, or any of the other trending platforms haven’t seen such changes. Instagram has introduced threads, which is a new text-based conversation app. Snapchat implemented AI into their system. Twitter has received the most changes in recent times and it has stolen the news for social media users. Although the community has split feelings, statistics show that it is projected to lose users and condense heavily into users that use it for business as well as news and sports fans.