Lafayette Spotlight: Mrs. Grant

Here is Mrs. Grant showing off some of her students work.

Meet Mrs. Grant!  She is…. She is an art foundations teacher at Lafayette high school. Did you know that she went to school in Maryland to study Art?

INTERVIEW

Where are you from originally?

I am from Williamsburg, VA!  I actually went to high school at Jamestown.  This is my hometown, and I love it.  The WJCC art program is fantastic, and it was so significant to my childhood, that I really wanted to come back and teach here to continue that legacy.

How long have you been teaching, and how long at LHS?

This is my 11th year teaching.  I have been at Lafayette the entire time, except that I did teach one class at Warhill my first year.  I also subbed for WJCC schools two years prior to being hired as a teacher.

Where did you go to college?

I went to the Maryland Institute College of Art.

What subject(s) do you teach?

I teach Art Foundations, Drawing, and Material Studies.

Why did you become a teacher?

Art has always been my passion.  My parents are glass blowers, and they instilled a love of art in my sisters and I from an early age.  I always knew I wanted to do something art related, and for a while, I was torn between being an independent artist, an art teacher, or an art therapist.  I was considering going to grad school, and I asked a family friend who was a puppeteer, if it was worth it.  Her response was, “Absolutely!  If you know exactly what you want to do.”  Since I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do, I asked her if she needed an intern.  It turned out that she had a huge job coming up to make large-scale puppets for a professional opera.  She had seen my artwork and decided to hire me to help with that job.  For 4 months, I worked as a full time artist, and it was a truly amazing experience.  She also did an artist residency at a local elementary school teaching the students to make puppets while I was working with her, and since she knew I was interested in teaching as well, she invited me to assist her at that residency.  After having a chance to actually work with students and experience teaching them first hand, I knew for sure that teaching was what I wanted to do.  When my work with her ended, I began the process of earning my teaching license.  My goal as a teacher is to help all of my students realize they can do things they couldn’t.  I believe that helping them to see that will create a confidence and attitude that will allow them to achieve any dream that decide to pursue in life.

What are your hobbies?

I love all things art related, nature walks, cooking, board and card games, and puzzles.  My favorite thing to do is spend time playing with my kids—it really doesn’t matter what we are doing as long as we are laughing and having a good time together!

What is your ideal vacation?

I love going to the mountains.  Fall leaves and waterfalls have a special place in my heart.  I’m also really looking forward to taking a trip to Disney World with my kids sometime!

What is your favorite cheese?

Anything melted!  Queso, cheddar, and mozzarella probably top the list though.