Lafayette High School Celebrates 50 Years of Ram Nation

From Spirit Week to Homecoming, LHS is the place to be!
Lafayette alumni wave to spectators during the 50th Anniversary parade that took place along Duke of Gloucester Street on Thursday, October 12th, 2023.

4460 Longhill Road may not seem like a famous address, but if you ask students and alumni of Lafayette High School, you will quickly learn that “The Home of the Rams,” is a special place.  Built in 1973, LHS is Williamsburg, Virginia’s “OG” high school.  Ram Nation is not only a high school, but

Sophomores wear white to show their Ram Pride for class colors day.

a state of mind, which was evident during last week’s Spirit Days, Homecoming Parade, and Football Game-where the Rams routed the Tabb Tigers 52-0 on Friday Night.

Each year, during Homecoming Week, LHS students take to Duke of Gloucester (colloquially known as D.O.G. Street) to show their Ram Pride for a parade.  The annual parade is the kickoff to the Homecoming weekend activities, which include the Friday night football game, the crowing of the Homecoming King and Queen, and the “Diamonds and Gold” Homecoming dance on Saturday night.  It was a lucky coincidence for tourists in Colonial Williamsburg to get to experience the parade, passersby asked why people were lining the street and were glad they stopped to experience the fun of the 50th-anniversary celebration down D.O.G. Street.

Wearing yellow, the Freshman class experienced their first pep rally. Pep rallies provide an opportunity for the entire school to compete for the most spirited class.

Homecoming week at Lafayette is always an exciting time of year for the students, as LHS has built a culture of inclusion and unity.  Last week’s 50th-anniversary celebration added an extra buzz to the halls and the classrooms.  Students and staff dressed for Spirit Days such as “Adam Sandler Day” and “Throwback Thursday,” which culminated in “Class Colors Day” and a Friday afternoon pep rally (great job to Ms. Poole for an awesome production) where the Seniors officially took the throne as rulers of the school.

The stands were packed with fans, students, and alumni for Friday night’s Homecoming football game. Ram pride was in full force, as everyone was cheering on the new members of the Lafayette Athletic Hall of Fame, who were inducted before kickoff.  The new members included current Varsity Football Head Coach Andy Linn, and Patricia Thompson, who is the current Golf and Tennis coach.  The halftime show featured the Lafayette High School Marching Band, who put on a captivating performance of America-themed songs.  After waiting all week for the final vote count, Seniors Hayden Olesky and   Maria Basantez were crowned Homecoming King and Queen, respectively.  The student section had a lot to cheer about, with the Rams putting up 52 unmatched points on the scoreboard.  The neighborhoods surrounding Wanner Stadium were treated to the roar of the crowd as Ram Nation erupted in celebration after each scoring play!

Varsity Football Head Coach, Andy Linn waves to the crowd as he is inducted into the LHS Athletics Hall of Fame.

The 50th Anniversary celebration will not end when Homecoming Week does, Ram Pride is something that runs through the veins of the students, staff, and families of Lafayette High School.  Being part of the LHS community is something that you have to experience to understand, everyone should be so lucky to have a place like Ram Nation to call their own.