A Religous Crusade Continues in Dune: Part Two

Violent, Bald, and full of Poor Romance.
Warner Bros. Pictures
3 Sandworms attacks the Sardaukar.

It’s been over two years since audiences were transported to the world of Arrakis in Denis Villeneuve’s adaptation of the science fiction book Dune. The 2021 film covered roughly the first half of Frank Herbert’s book, introducing viewers to the complex lore and unique characters of one of the most influential works in the sci-fi genre. Now, fans celebrate as Dune: Part Two came out a few weeks ago on March 1, 2024. Villeneuve has re-assembled his stellar cast, including Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides, Zendaya as his love interest Chani, and Rebecca Ferguson as Paul’s  mother, Lady Jessica. They’ll be joined by new additions playing key roles from the second half of the book, such as Florence Pugh as the gorgeous Princess Irulan and Austin Butler as the menacing Feyd-Rautha.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen smoking in a tub. (Warner Bros. Pictures)

Where Part One laid the groundwork by depicting the power struggle between noble houses over the harsh desert planet Arrakis and its precious spice, Part Two has put viewers into the heart of a planetary war. Paul’s rise as the prophesied messianic figure “Lisan Al Gaib ” will be realized as he unites the Fremen people and wages a war against the Harkonnens and the empire itself. Beyond the story’s dramatic turn, audiences have Villeneuve’s breathtaking vision for alien worlds to look forward to. Part One’s visuals earned it ten Academy Award nominations and the franchise’s profile has only grown since its initial release with a cult following. With more money and resources at the filmmaker’s disposal, Part Two delivered with even more audacious set pieces, from the titanic sandworm encounters to the grand-scale battles.

Javier Bardem as Stilgar “As it was written”. (Warner Bros. Pictures)

1984’s Dune film adaptation remains a classic, but its shortcomings opened the door for attempts to truly do justice to Herbert’s rich universe. With the Prisoners and Arrival director firmly at the helm, this new epic two-parter fully realized the scope and spectacle of the iconic story. Dune fans will finally have their spice-fueled dream brought to life in full when they see Dune: Part Two.