“Madame Web” was it really that bad?

A review of Sony’s most recent swing and a miss: “Madame Web”

Madame Web swings into the Spider-Man Universe with a mix of mystique and missteps. Starring Dakota Johnson as Cassandra “Cassie” Web, the movie’s clairvoyant leading lady, the film tries to weave a superhero tale but gets tangled in its own web. 

The script, written by Matt Sazama, Burk Sharpless, Claire Parker, and director S.J. Clarkson, takes us on a wild ride, and not necessarily in a good way. Filled with clunky expositional dialogue, it is like the characters are trying to untangle themselves from a messy web of awkward lines. The storytelling, instead of following a straightforward path, spins into disjointed sequences that left me and my friends scratching our heads. While there are moments of unintentional humor, the overall effect is more confusion than entertainment. 

The chemistry among the cast is another sticky situation. Despite the star-studded lineup featuring Dakota Johnson, Emma Roberts,

Dakota Johnson stars as the psychic Madame Web, alongside Isabela Merced, Sydney Sweeney and Celeste O’Connor. ( IMDb / Sony Pictures / Marvel)

Adam Scott, Isabela Merced, and Sydney Sweeney, the connections between characters feel forced. It is like they are trying to swing together but missing the right rhythm. The lack of authenticity leaves a void where emotional gain should be, making it tough to root for or even really like the heroes. 

Madame Web’s attempt to be a Spider-Man movie without Peter Parker is as tricky as it sounds. Constantly winking at the audience about Spider-Man while sidelining characters with Spidey powers creates an identity crisis. The film struggles to find its place in the Spider-Verse, with thin world-building and a confusing backstory that might make you feel like you missed a crucial chapter.

In the realm of Sony’s Spider-Man Universe, Madame Web sticks out like a sore thumb. Unlike its predecessors like Venom and Morbius, Madame Web seems unsure of where it fits in. While those films managed to carve their niche by playing with the Spider-Man mythos, Madame Web stumbles in creating a convincing connection. The attempt to introduce four other

International Madame Web poster for China (Yahoo entertainment )

Spider-People feels more like a forced addition than an organic expansion of the Spider-Verse.

Director S.J. Clarkson injects some stylistic flair into the mix, bringing Cassie’s clairvoyant visions to life in visually dynamic ways. Yet, these moments, while disorienting and cool, might leave you wanting more clarity. Stylistic shots, especially for characters like Ezekiel Sims, add a dash of excitement, but murky action scenes and confusing edits cast a shadow on the cinematography. 

In the end, Madame Web, with its mix of mystique and missteps, doesn’t quite swing to superhero glory. The unconventional script, lack of on-screen chemistry, and a tricky relationship with Spider-Man leave it feeling more like a knockoff than a genuine addition to the Marvel universe. With a rating of 2.5 out of 5, this one might be worth skipping if you are craving a more seamless and engaging superhero flick. Believe me, I’d rather watch Morbius than this – and I hated Morbius.

The outside of New Town Cinema. Since they took the poster down for the movie already even though it just came out two weeks ago. (Kamali McGee)