True Flaws in the Intruder Drill

Is the school truly safe during an intruder drill?

Stephanie Perez

Julia Norcross (left) and Twanasha Briggs during an intruder drill, scared of the unknown– or that the same thing that happened in Florida will happen to them. Hopefully their school won’t fail them.

On February 14, 2018, there was a shooting in Florida at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Sadly, seventeen people were killed, and schools across the globe walked out of their classes on March 14, 2018 to honor them and protest against gun violence.  While gun violence is a huge problem, students also see flaws in the intruder drill. In fact, many students at Lafayette High School don’t feel safe during an intruder drill. Freshman Alexandra Ainslie says, “When it’s an intruder drill I don’t feel safe. Normally teachers cover the windows with black paper and intruder could easily break it and come in.” Some students believe that we should take out the windows and have more secure doors. The easy accessibility would allow the shooter to break open a door or break the window. Senior Heather Bloodworth says, “I don’t feel safe because the shooters are mostly the students. So, they know everything that’s going on. It wouldn’t matter if we stayed quiet or turned off the lightsthey know we are here.” It also takes time to call the front office if the teachers see an intruder. By the time an announcement is made, the shooter could be already inside.