Size Doesn’t Matter

Lafayette Football plays in the VHSL Class 3 State Championship
Linebacker David Hassel first season back crying after loss to LCA. (Brady Isaksen)

The VHSL Class 3 state championship game was on December 9th, 2023, between the Lafayette Rams and the Liberty Christian Bulldogs. The game had just started with Lafayette kicking the ball off and on the first drive Elijah Mathews intercepts Liberty Christian’s pass. The Lafayette student section went crazy after their long bus ride to come to the game. After that, the Rams ran the ball and fumbled, allowing Liberty Christian to get the ball right back. Liberty Christian would go on to strike first and score a touchdown making the score 7-0. Liberty Christian struck again, scoring another touchdown on a huge run from their 4-star running back and Clemson commit. At halftime the score was 21-0 and Lafayette needed a good second half to win this game. After halftime, Lafayette came out hot, scoring 2 touchdowns in a row after good stops by their defense and playing good offense. At this point, the score was 21-14 and Lafayette was rallying back into the game.  Unfortunately, the team didn’t have enough in the tank and Liberty Christian marched down the field and scored another touchdown making the score 28-14,  which would be the final score of the game. Liberty Christian would be crowned the VHSL Class 3 State Champions and Lafyette runners-up. Even though this was a heartbreaker for Lafayette, they should be proud of their amazing season.