Member spotlight: Josh Sims

Lafayette senior and future Hokie…
Josh+viewing+the+amazing+sights+of+San+Fransisco.+
Josh viewing the amazing sights of San Fransisco.

Early Life

Joshua Andrew Sims was born on September 9th, 2005, in Williamsburg Virginia. He grew up in a middle-class home with his parents and one sibling, Joey. Josh’s first memories revolved around going to baseball games and playing sports. He started playing T-ball at the age of 4 years old and continued playing baseball throughout his elementary school days at J. Blaine Blayton Elementary School. Growing up, he spent lots of time watching Boston Red Sox baseball, his favorite team.

A young Josh Sims after a James Blair baseball game.

After graduating from JBB, he then attended Hornsby Middle School for one year and then later going to James Blair Middle School for the remainer of his Middle School career. Josh participated in a multitude of activities there as he played baseball and basketball for 2 years each. However, his 8th grade baseball career as well as school was cut short due to the Covid 19 pandemic.

High School

Josh currently is in his 4th year at Lafayette High School. He experienced his freshman year behind a computer screen as he attended online classes due to Covid 19. His sophomore year he joined both the baseball team and the swim team. He found success on both teams as he was a part of District and Regional Champion swim team and the State Semi-Finalist baseball team. Josh continued playing baseball the next 2 years, contributing to a very successful Lafayette team. As Josh’s Senior year came near, he joined many popular clubs and honor societies to help boost his college applications. He was accepted and joined the National Honor Society, English Honor Society, Math Honor Society, Science Honor Society, and Spanish Honor Society. He also joined the Key Club, Pep Club, Rambassadors, and FBLA. Josh also joined the track team his senior year and quickly picked up the High Jump event. He state qualified in his first meet with a heigh of 6’0. He later would be named First Ream All-Region.

Playing his favorite instrument, josh gets ready for baseball season.

Graphic design

Josh started his graphic design career his senior year as he created the gameday graphics for the Lafayette Football team. This eventually led to him becoming a Sportsplug757 partner and starting his own small business in @simsy.graphics. Most of his work includes commitment graphics for local athletes.

College

Josh recently committed to attend Virginia Tech as a Finance major. He is excited to meet new people as well as learn business at his top choice for college.