Squid Game: The Challenged Takes on Dystopia

Squid Game: The Challenged takes on dystopia

Since the premiere on November 22, Squid Game: The Challenge has become one of Netflix’s most engrossing television show this year. The show is a take on the 2021 South Korean television series, Squid Game, where 456 players risk their lives for 45.6 billion won (approx. 38 million USD.) The 2023 version, 456 contestants are set off to complete a series of children’s games for the $4.56 million prize. As the show becomes increasingly popular many are left wondering if this is could cause much more harm than entertainment.

Similar to the original series, The Challenge begins with a simple game of “Red Light, Green Light,” in which every contestant must make it across the field in time before the timer clocks down. The contestants then play the rest of the remaining 5 games. In The Challenge, the contestants are not in any real danger, but as the production team collaborates with the team behind The Circle—they go above and beyond to recreate the more chilling aspects of the original show, as they cast 456 eager contestants who are deadest on winning the largest cash prize ever to be given in reality television history. The 4.65 million is the staple piece for why every participant is willing to give themselves up to be filmed and put to the test over the course of weeks.

Furthermore, if not already figured out by now, the contenders are all avid fans of the original Squid Game show. As the show is being filmed many of the contestants become committed to presenting themselves as a more compelling piece for their on-screen presence.  As the players are trying to stand out and familiarize themselves with the show, by portraying themselves as reality show archetypes, it becomes awkward to watch as they try to reproduce Squid Games plot points. The Challenge has taken on Squid Games brutality as the players are eliminated, throw themselves to the ground to emulate being shot. The glorification of the barbarity that Squid Game is known for, becomes the reason why all are a little weary about the ethics of The Challenge. With social media apps like TikTok, that exploit and wring out the this morally conflicting reality show.

Moreover, with all the reasons for why the creation of The Challenge has its morally unethical and its growing popularity, it will not stop Netflix from giving this show an unnecessary renewal. Netflix continues to be reckless and unheeding with the safety of its actors that they hire to play such dangerous roles. Hopefully in the near future projects as such will not grace Netflix’s collection of films.