Opium: Rap’s Best Label

Opium Music Label

Credit- Andrew Bea       Opium Label logo

Credit- The Come Up Show Image of Playboi Carti from his “Cash Carti” era before 2020 and WLR

Opium is a modern-day music label with members featuring Playboi Carti, Ken Carson, Destroy Lonely and Homixide Gang which is a rapper duo. This Atlanta based label with all the rappers from Atlanta, Georgia. Playboi Carti started the Opium music label in 2019 with all members signed in the same year. With the creation of his label, Carti created merchandise and clothing that is a streetwear fashion reflecting his style. Opium has taken the stage in the most recent fashion trends. With rappers’ part of the label wearing expensive streetwear and designer clothing. Brands like Saint Laurent, Dior, Chrome Hearts, Givenchy, Amiri, Supreme, Carier, Rick Owens. Also featuring jewelry and wristwatches like Automar, Patek, G Shock and much more. Opium has a greater influence in the fashion world but also a huge following in the music world. Opium focuses on apparel and accessories combining bold graphics, vibrant colors, and very edgy designs including T shirts and hoodies. Opium has a very dark and edgy music. Rappers collectively share similar sounds with dark and gritty synths mixed into a rage beat. Opium music has strayed away from the hip hop world garnering its own dark and cultlike fanbase. Artist’s dressing in all black, punk, heavy metal, punk, black boots, and silver belts. After Carti debuted his album and later debuted his rage rap album Whole Lotta Red, the trend took the industry over. Non-conformist, horror, and vampire esque aesthetics make the opium style so unique. All of Opium’s members albums are considered exclusive drops. Music about weapons, illegal substances, money, cars, and gang violence. Lyrics that lack meaning, purpose and good influence are the music members typically produce. Modern hip hop in modern day is all about the wrong things. Playboi Carti last dropped an album on Christmas Day in 2020 named “Whole Lotta Red”. Since then, he hasn’t dropped in three years and fans as well as music analysts cannot predict when he will drop next. All other label members have recently dropped albums as well. Ken Carsons “A Great Chaos” debuted a few months ago and it has topped chars and taken fans as well as the music industry by breath. Whole Lota Red had millions of good reviews from fans and Ken Carsons most recent album has been favored over WLR by fans and analysts.

Homixide Beno and Meechie

Homixide Gang also debuted “5th Amendment” which fans loved but didn’t influence social media and the industry. All members except Playboi Carti tend to drop albums annually but with Carti’s influence and aura, drops are considered exclusive, and no one knows when anyone will drop. Music is so exclusive from this label that people work hard to leak full songs as well as snippets. If the music image is getting dry fans tend to hunt for unreleased music across all platforms. This music is not for everyone, there is a very limited fanbase. The “rage-rap” genre doesn’t appeal to many rap listeners. Opium has a small following but a huge appeal in the music industry and is considered one of the biggest and most famed labels in rap.