We are Going Back to 2018

Fortnite Battle Royale is going back to its OG map

The Fortnite that we all know, and love has returned as of November 3rd, 2023. Season OG is a dynamic season, progressing from the Chapter one season five through Season X. The original map attracted over five million players in the first days and has sparked up the love of the game for players from the OG maps. A group of people at Lafayette, including myself, joined a clan named FGC Fortnite. Recently, this clan signed over twenty Lafayette students and played through the new season. Some returning features to the game are weapons, items, vehicles, and the map. The most popular weapons to return are the pump shotgun and the SCAR, with the most popular returning items are grapplers and the chug jug. The returning vehicles are shopping carts and golf carts.

The Fortnite golf cart is an icon from a period of dominance from Fortnite. Having these back in the game alone will boost the player count back to what it once was.
Fortnite took over mainstream gaming for years, attracting players to play in large tournaments. This image is a real life Fortnite Battle Bus, made for the E3 tournament in 2018.

The return of all these items has attracted the nostalgia of old players, giving them a lens into their past. The old map has given players one more chance to drop at Tilted, Retail, and Paradise Palms, locations that make anyone who played before 2018 feel like they are back in middle school. Personally, I have had an incredible time playing Fortnite since November 3rd. After not playing for almost a year, I revived my account to tryout the old map one more time. I began playing Fortnite in Season 4, just before many of my friends started. I loved to play squads with my friends, not only trying to win, but trying to have a great time. I truly missed those days and am glad to have them back. The new map, however, is very temporary. It will be removed December 2nd, in time for Chapter 5 to begin. The game’s five million players will inevitably fall, potentially insuring Fortnite’s downfall. Without the potential to go back to go back to old seasons, many old players may never return to the Fortnite lobbies. Fortnite is one of the most successful games of all time, attracting so many players between 2017 and 2019, and then remarketing younger players in 2020 and keeping this format. The constant updates and changes may have pushed away some players. Many players returned to a game that was unrecognizable to what it was in Chapter 1. Bots, new weapons, new vehicles, a new map, a storyline, and new locations were introduced, taking some of the original luster out of the game. Originally, the story line was dynamic every season, having themes such as superhero, desert, Halloween, Christmas, and Pirate.

This entire stadium was once used for a Fortnite pro-am. It was sold out in 2018, showing the popularity of the game. People were willing to come and watch a video game in person.

Now, the storyline follows a storyline of heroes trying to save an island from aliens. The center of the entire storyline, however, is drawn back to a singular purple cube, which appeared in Season 5, the chapter we are currently in. The storyline may now revolve around this cube and the power it held. It has not been introduced yet, and may not be, but it would make sense for it to come back. The new Fortnite season looks like a way to attract old players, but it may mean that a new wrinkle may appear in the story.