The Coming-Up of Cooper Flagg

Cooper Flag Joins Duke University

Coopper Flagg recently committed to Duke on October 30th, 2023, after considering an offer from UConn, shocking the NCAA.

He originally went to Nokomis Regional High School in Maine. He became the first freshman to be named Maine Gatorade Player of the Year. That year, he averaged 20.5 points, 10.0 rebounds, 6.3 assists, 3.7 steals, and 3.7 blocks per game. At the end of his freshman season, he transferred to Montverde, Florida.

Duke offered a full athletic scholarship to Cooper Flagg in hopes of him being a good addition to the team. Duke thinks he would be a good addition to the team as they have not been their best the past three years, especially during the 2020-2021 season, going 9-9 in their conference and 13-11 overall. Duke hopes this 6’8, 200-pound small forward/power forward from Maine can be a weapon for their team. Duke knows how to turn great young players into even greater players and has proven that through their notoriously great basketball program.

Flagg on the court (Wikimedia Commons)

One of his most notable games on the court was the one seen in this picture, where he scored 27 points in all, building a commanding lead over the opposing side and showcasing his unmatched prowess as one of the top up-and-coming players.

Before Duke and many other D1 schools, Cooper Flagg got his first D1 offer from Bryant University in the eighth grade. During the summer after his sophomore year, he decided to reclassify to the class of 2024. Cooper Flagg played for the United States under-17 basketball team at the 2022 FIBA Under-17 World Cup. Flagg scored 10 points with 17 rebounds, eight steals, and four blocked shots in a 79-67 win over Spain in the final. He was named the 2022 USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year for his performance in the Under-17 World Cup and is the youngest player to win the award.

Cooper Flagg’s mother, Kelly, played college basketball for Maine, where she was team captain during her senior year. Cooper Flaggs, father, Ralph, played basketball at the NJCAA. Cooper Flagg has a twin brother, Ace, who was a teammate at Nokomis and transferred to Montverde. Cooper Flagg’s older brother, Hunter, was also a Nokomis basketball player and was a senior when the former was a freshman.

This is photo is a picture of coopers first visit to one of his 18 Division 1 offers. He can be seen dominating the court. This photo also allows you to get an idea of his immense size and presence on the court

Cooper Flagg is a senior in high school and is only 16 years old. Not only is he 16 years old as a senior, but he is the best high school basketball player in the class of 2024. While maintaining a 3.67 GPA, making him able to be reclassified at 16, making him fully eligible for the 2025 draft. With 16 Division One offers, he is set to be one of, if not the best, upcoming basketball players in the 2025 draft. Not only has this traction opened up multiple scholarship offers, but it has also allowed him to be worth a total of one million dollars at the age of 16. He is an upcoming prospect in the NBA, and I can’t wait to see where this brings him in the future.