Five Nights at Freddys: Horror Game Turned Movie

How a collection of killer animatronics helped shape the gaming culture of today.
Universal
The terrifying horror game phenomenon becomes a blood-chilling cinematic event.

You may not be familiar with the horror game, so I will give you rundown/background. The historical Five Nights at Freddies game became one of the most played game during the 2010s. Five Nights at Freddies is a point-and-click survival horror game developed and published by Scott Cawthon. The game is set in a family pizzeria, and the player takes on Mike Schmidt’s job as the role of a night security guard while trying not to be caught by the homicidal animatronic characters that wander the restaurant during the night. The game gained worldwide popularity during the 2010s and has since then became big enough to grow into a movie.

The logo of the Five Nights at Freddy’s movie.

The horror movie is directed by Emma Tammi and stars Piper Rubio, Elizabeth Lail, Mary Masterson, and Josh Hutcherson as Mike Schmidt, the security guard at Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria. Josh Hutcherson is an actor with an impressive filmography, being in the Hunger Games trilogy, which is expected to be releasing a prequel this November 17th. The FNAF movie also stars Matthew Lillard, whose filmography is quite impressive as well, with the Scooby-Doo! Franchise, and Scream (1996), being his most well-known films. The adaptation started began in 2015 with a budget of $20 million, and began filming in February 2023 ending that April, and being released on October 26, 2023.

The FNAF movie has been open to many criticisms from the die-hard horror game fans. There is a huge gap in the reviews between the audience and critics. “Rotten Tomatoes: Critic Score- 28%, Audience Score- 89%. Metacritic: Critic Score- 3.3, Audience Score- 8.1.” (Tassi) The FNAF franchise of books and games is a culture that critics have never really been involved in before the movie, so the scoring makes sense. The FNAF movie success in the box office will be one of biggest of the decade, behind Barbie. The fans of this exponentially popular franchise will make this movie one of the biggest.

The movie will become another way for fans to collect memories from their favorite nostalgic game. The movie is continuing to grow and I can see the box office outcome being well over 200 million and people will talk about the end of this franchise for decades to come.