Lafayette Girls Soccer Team Wins the Regional Final

Lafayette beats York in the regional Final for the third year in a row!
Lafayette+is+back-to-back+to+back+reginal+Champions%21+
Lafayette is back-to-back to back reginal Champions!
Teams that work hard together win together. (Brent Trainum )

The Lafayette Girls Soccer Team beat York High School in the Regional Final for the third year in a row. With 20 minutes left in the half the game was still 0-0 and it was looking like it might go into overtime and possibly PK’s when sophomore Kira Moore scored a fantastic goal to give Lafayette the 1-0 lead. This helped give Lafayette the momentum they needed to win this game and a few minutes later senior Sam Lynch scored a beautiful goal off of an assist from sophomore Adriana Lightfoot making the score 2-0 with less than 10 minutes in the game. Then just like that the game ended and Lafayette girls were regional champions once again.  This path to success was not easy and it started 2 years ago in the 2020-2021 season when Lafayette played York in the finals for the first time.

In 2021, after beating Colonial Heights in the Regional semi-final, Lafayette earned themselves a ticket into the finals

Post win Tik Tok’s are the best especially after you have won your third regional championship. (Brent Trainum )

for the first time in many years. On June 19th, Lafayette traveled down the road to York High School and played at Bailey Field, in hopes of bringing home the trophy. However, the game was not in Lafayette’s favor as they had already lost to York earlier in the season 3-0. Then at halftime, the score was 1-0 York and things were not looking so good for Lafayette. They knew they had to do something because otherwise their season would be over. In the second half Brooke Potter a graduate of the class of 2022 scored 2 incredible goals giving Lafayette the 2-1 lead and with less than 20 minutes left Senior Sam Lynch scored the third goal making it a 3-1 game. When the game finished Lafayette won regionals for the first time since pre-covid, but the hard work was not over yet.

Seniors Lexi King and Eva Fields have won their third Regional Final. Junior Taylor Walker has won her second.

In the 2022 season, after beating Tabb 4-0 in the regional semi-final, Lafayette found themselves back in the Regional Finals against York. A lot more pressure was on the Rams this year as Lafayette was favored to win this game and sure enough Lafayette delivered. Brooke Potter scored early to give Lafayette a 1-0 lead and both the York and the Lafayette defense was so good that the score remained the same for the rest of the game. Then Lafayette became back-to-back regional champions.

It was not an easy road winning three Regional Championships in a row, but Lafayette never gives up and is determined to win which is how they have been so successful. They will continue to work hard and try for a 4th championship next year. Unfortunately, the Lady Rams season came to an end after they lost in the State Championship. They had a great run in States since Sophomore Taylor Walker scored two goals in both the quarter and the semifinal to land them a spot in the final for the second year in a row, but the win didn’t happen in the end. The Lady Rams Season begins in March of 2024 and are excited for another promising season!