Spirit Week Comes to Raucous End

Pep Rally, Game, Dance Give Students Exciting Weekend

Stephen Council

Chris Collins and Maya Canaday pose during halftime of the Homecoming football game, just after being crowned Homecoming King and Queen.

Lafayette’s 2017 Homecoming week came to a climactic finish this weekend, with a win over New Kent in football and a well-attended dance. The Homecoming court ceremony at halftime of the game unveiled this year’s king and queen.

Photo by Stephen Council
Lafayette’s seniors gather in the gym hallway before running into the Homecoming Pep Rally on Friday.

The weekend began with Ram Pride Friday, when each of the 4 classes wore their color for the fourth block Pep Rally. During the rally, the cheerleaders and band performed, fall sports teams celebrated their seasons, the court was introduced, and each class had a game for the students to play. The sophomores began with Tug-Of-War, followed by the freshman class’s take on Hungry Hungry Hippos. Then, the juniors hosted a relay race against the teachers and the iconic senior game of dodgeball raised the roof of the gym.

Later that evening, Lafayette’s varsity football team met New Kent at Wanner. The Rams leaped out to a 21-0 lead in the first half, and coasted to a 33-6 final. The Ram faithful didn’t get to enjoy the band, as rain forced the band from the field, but the halftime court activities entertained at the half. After each class’s princesses walked the field, along with the senior princes, the king and queen were announced. Chris Collins, who runs track and plays soccer for Lafayette, won Homecoming King. Maya Canaday, a cheerleader, band member, and soccer player joined Collins to create the leading couple.

Photo by Sarah Bryant and Lauren Wrann
Sarah Bryant and Lauren Wrann
Juniors proudly display their class color and sense of school spirit on Friday, October 13th.

The festivities didn’t end there for the stunned duo, as both Collins and Canaday attended the Homecoming Dance on Saturday night. The SCA-hosted dance sold over 500 tickets and had food, dancing, and entertainment. Attendees found a transformed upper commons and gym awaiting them, thanks to the hard work of Lafayette’s Decorating Committee.

Photo courtesy of Mr. Jefferson
Mr. Jefferson
The Junior class wears blue to celebrate their unity and show school spirit on the final day of Spirit Week.

As the photos of the weekend slow to a halt on social media and students recover from an intense weekend, Lafayette can regain its focus and begin to remember the 2017 Homecoming weekend as a fond memory.