Could She Do Anything More?

Spotlight: Valentina Martinello

Valentina, best known as Val to her friends is best described as an awesome, hardworking constantly stressed athlete with a great sense of humor. She most notably prides herself on being an academic weapon. She attends the Governor’s School for Science and technology, but I’ve known her since before she could write.

A young Val poses with her favorite fish at the aquarium. (Valentina Martiniello)

Val and I went to Mathew Whaley Elementary together where we met in Mrs. Armbruster’s kindergarten class. We continued our elementary school career- meeting again in first grade. We also attended Berkeley Middle School together, although we did not interact much. After entering high school our friendship was rekindled through cross country. She is Bulgarian Italian (figured I’d throw that in, seemed important). She is aware how important it is to have a diverse resume because she has her eyes on Ivy-League level colleges. Her participation in “Gov School” would normally mean she is only at the school for three hours a day, however she is very involved in LHS so that is not the case.

Valentino Martiniello poses for a picture whilst on the beach. (Jill Hunt)

Her accomplishments and participation include Vice President of the Student Counsel Association, founder of Future Medical Professionals of LHS and Secretary of Key Club, as well as a member of the LHS  Cross Country and Track and Field teams. Cross country is where we were reunited entering high school. Knowing Val for so long has been nothing short of amazing- it is a awesome to see her grow and evolve. She has grown to be a very hard worker from the crayon eater I once knew. Her work ethic is driven by her goals for her future. She takes a great interest in medicine. In fact, Valentina periodically volunteers at the local hospital, hoping to gain experience. An excellent thing to do in preparation for her career.

As for now, she works as a lifeguard in Fords Colony. She is very good at her job, in fact no one has ever drowned whilst under her watch, a perfect record!

“Val” enjoys some apple slices during her break as a lifeguard.