Rethinking School Time

Should the school day be shorter or should there be more time for instruction?
Students at Lafayette drudging through the halls (Quentin Trowbridge)

The controversial topic of school hours has been a prevalent topic for both students and teachers for many years. As many disagree on the length of the school day, others have proposed that perhaps the time for student instruction should be longer. The debates regarding cutting the length of the school day take in several factors such as adequate sleep, homework time, extracurriculars, and other additional responsibilities for students. However, some have proposed that students should stay in school for longer to receive a higher quality education and prepare students for the “real life” or increase work ethic. To take both perspectives into account, students at Lafayette High School were asked to share their personal opinions on the length of the school day and what might be the best for high school students.

Jillian Hunt, a junior at Lafayette, had states that the school day should be significantly shorter, as it takes away time from valuable extracurriculars that are especially important for students wishing to continue them in college. For instance, Jill mentions how she would like to continue track in college, and the long school hours, along with a great load of homework, takes away from time to train for her sport. The long school hours can further impact other extracurriculars, such as internships or afterschool jobs. Students who may have to work after school to help support their families or for simply their own good may encounter several conflicts regarding work scheduling and school hours. If school was shorter, then students will have more time to branch out and focus on extracurriculars.

A student appears to be asleep during class instruction. Due to the long school hours, as well as busy schedules after school, students are more prone to be taking naps during class to make up for the hours lost at night.

Moreover, more students suggest that the school day should be shorter because it would help students receive better and higher quality sleep. Another junior from Lafayette, John Turner, states how “shortening the school day can allow students to finish additional work and activities in a timely matter, helping students go to sleep earlier.” With students getting the right amount of sleep, it can further prevent sleeping in class ( shown in the photo below) and can allow for better concentration while learning class material.

Although there were hardly any students at Lafayette who agreed that the school day should be longer, some arguments may center around how an additional hour of school can allow for more class material to be taught. Others argue that having more time for each class during the day can improve learning, as well as increase overall engagement in the school environment. However, these statements prove to have an eventual negative affect on students, both socially and mentally. For instance, if students soley focused on school and academics, there would be no eventual growth or creativity exerted outside of the classroom. To sum it up, students at Lafayette and many others believe that shortening the school day will prove to be beneficial for the wellbeing of high school students.