Florida Teen Knocks Out Teacher

Faces 30 years in prison for aggravated battery charge
Depa appearing in court with judge Terrence Perkins at Kim C. Hammond Justice Center in Bunnell, FL. Oct. 30, 2023 Nigel Cook/News-Journal

Brendan Depa, an 18-year-old Florida teen, is now facing up to 30 years in prison for first-degree aggravated battery after he knocked his teacher unconscious for taking his Nintendo Switch, as is

Depa looking at his teacher on the floor after pushing her to the ground knocking her unconscious for taking his nintendo switch , Matanzas High School security footage, Feb 21, 2023
Even after he had pushed her to the ground, he decides to kick her.  Matanzas High School security footage, Feb 21, 2023 (security footage )

seen on the viral security footage of the attack. On Feb. 21st, Brendan, who is 6’6, 270 lbs, and autistic, was seen and caught on camera pushing a teacher to the ground, knocking her unconscious, and then proceeding to punch her multiple times even after she was knocked out. He is currently being held on a $1 million bond. Depa also reportedly threatened to kill the teacher, Mrs. Naydich, during his arrest. The incident occurred at Matanzas High School in Palm Coast, Florida. He pleaded no contest at his hearing. Depa was asked by the judge, Terence Perkins, if he had read the plea, and he replied, “No”. Terence told him to read the plea. His attorney claims they had already gone over the plea but still sat down to review it. Court documents also show that Depa has three different battery charges, although they’re all misdemeanors. Depa’s sentencing hearing is currently set to be on Jan. 31 at 1:30 p.m. State sentencing guidelines state that Depa could face a minimum sentence of 34.5 months in prison due to what has happened at the school. Depa’s attorney said that they would attempt to get juvenile sanctions for Depa, as he was 17 at the time of the incident. He wants this because the juvenile system has more of a rehabilitation approach, in contrast to regular prison. He also claims that Depa was doing well, even under the circumstances of his being caught up in jail, even with his autism.