619 Days of War in Ukraine

The unrest continues, nearly two years later.
An armored convoy of pro-Russian troops on a road leading to the besieged southern port city of Mariupol, Ukraine, March 28, 2022. (REUTERS/Alexander Ermochenko)

The Ukrainian War continues, and new battles have happened lately in the Zaporizhzhia area. Although Ukraine has been slowly penetrating Russia’s defense and repossessing some land, there are no indications that this has helped with large losses on both sides. The conflict has gone on for more than half a year, bringing about large amounts of suffering and loss of life.

The Council on Foreign Relations has revealed that Ukraine had gained up to 54% of occupied territory back while Russia still maintains control of only 18%. The Ukrainian counter-offense resulted in several

A Ukrainian service member rides a military vehicle in the front line city of Bakhmut, March 3, 2023. (Oleksandr Ratushniak)

minor territorial advances in 2023, however, the frontlines have been essentially static for approximately one year, implying a long-term conflict.

The Guardian also reports that the Ukrainians fended off a Russian attack on Novoprokopivka in the Zaporizhzhia area and had “partial success” at the town of Verbove. According to reports, Ukraine allegedly liberated about 125 square kilometers during the summer offensive on the eastern side of the country which was slow but significant offensive.

Peace can only be achieved through diplomatic negotiations between the parties involved. Combined, these impacts of the prolonged conflict and the accompanying global health emergency as a result of the war. The affected population of Ukraine must gain access to the much needed relief supplies and other forms of assistance to relieve their suffering.

A Ukrainian servicewoman fires a 2S7 Pion self-propelled gun at a position, on a frontline in Kherson region, Ukraine, November 9, 2022. (Viacheslav Ratynskyi)

Even though the situation is tense and the journey to peace appears difficult, the promise of dialogue gives some hope. Dialogue and peaceful solutions should be paramount, especially because of the sustainability and peace which all the parties want for their region and people.