Lafayette Spotlight: Nancy Santiago

Learn more about Mrs. Santiago and what makes her who she is!

Meet Mrs. Santiago, a Special Ed Teacher Assistant here at Lafayette!

Q: What do you do/teach here? 

I am a Special Education Teacher Assistant.

Q: Why did you come to LHS and how many years have you been here? 

I transferred from Warhill High School to Lafayette High School in 2015. I have been working in the WJCC Public Schools for 16 years also worked in Virginia Beach City Public Schools for 5 years.

Q: What college did you go to? 

I attended Suffolk county Community College in Long Island, NY.

Q: Why did you decide to teach? 

An opportunity came to teach and work with the special Education department for Preschoolers and that inspired a passion and a love for working with special needs students.

Q: What do you love about your job? 

What I love about my job is the chance I get to see them blossom and grow, develop their own independence, their self confidence and self-esteem.  It’s rewarding in so many ways you can see how you have influenced them and impacted their lives. Working with my students have taught me to learn patience, tolerance, acceptance, and empathy. I have been blessed to work with my students it can be tough at times, but it truly is rewarding and fulfilling.

Q: Do you have any advice for young people today? 

My advice for young people today is to put God first in your life, smile and laugh often, be grateful, be positive in your thinking, don’t stress be kind, walk in love… and occasionally take a break from social media be present and enjoy the world around you!

Q: What are your hobbies? 

Some hobbies I enjoy are journaling, sitting on my favorite chair with a cup of coffee and reading a good inspirational book, I also love photography, and going for walks and spending lots and lots of time with my grandkids!

Q: What’s your favorite sitcom?

You can tell I’m an old timer!.. my favorite sitcoms are “The Fresh Prince of Belair” and “Seinfeld.”