Lafayette Spotlight: Susan Findlay

Mrs. Findlay and her fellow student services colleagues have a long-time friendship and enjoy working together here at LHS

Meet Susan Findlay!  She is a very kind and caring soul around the school. She works in the background but once you get to know her, she is one of the best people to talk to in the building!

Q- Where are you originally from?

A- I was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado at the US Air Force Academy Hospital. Although my father was in the Air Force, we spent most of our years in Tidewater area of Virginia.

Q- How long have you been teaching, and how long at LHS?

A- I am the School Social Worker at LHS. In my role, I support staff and students but do not teach classes.  I have been at LHS since 2019, so this is my fourth school year. Go RAMS!

Q- Where did you go to college

A- I went to Mary Washington College and then Graduate School at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Q- What subject/department do you teach?

A- I provide social and emotional support to our students and have worked with the Counseling Department at LHS to facilitate groups that are designed to help students achieve their academic goals.  I have many other roles, but do not teach our students.

Q- Why did you become a teacher?

A- I became a Social Worker because I have always wanted to help others, especially those that are less fortunate.

Q- What do you bring for lunch on a typical day?

A- I usually bring the same thing everyday for my lunch, some fruit, some celery (with peanut butter), yogurt and a wrap (turkey, lettuce, avocado etc.).

Q- Do you have any advice for young people today?

A- I want to encourage our young people to stay positive and find ways to contribute to their community to make the world a better place. Be the change you want to see in the world. We need kindness and compassion more than ever. With all the negative events in our society it is easy to complain and blame others. Social media has created some additional challenges for our youth.  I want to encourage our youth to remain focused on the true value of human connection, to lift up one another to be the best version of themselves. I have many more ideas, but I will close with one of my favorite quotes from a Star Wars movie, “Hope is like the sun, if you only believe it when you see it, you’ll never make it through the night.”

Q- What’s your favorite place you’ve traveled?

A- One of my most favorite vacations was to Aruba. It was a very beautiful island with gorgeous beaches.  My husband and I were there with a batch of some wonderful friends.