George H.W. Bush’s Passing

George H.W. Bush passed away due to his health issues he has battled for the past few years

President Reagan and Vice President George H.W. Bush winning 1981 election.

The 41st President George Herbert Walker Bush died Friday November 30th, 2018 at the age 94 in Houston, TX. George H.W. Bush the Father of George W. Bush who was the 43rd President of the United States was born June 12th, 1924 in Milton, MA. He was the President of The United States from 1989 to 1993 and ran for president under the Republican Party. David Berry, Lafayette High School senior, said “The passing of President Bush was very sad considering he was such a good role model.”

President George H.W. Bush arriving off Air Force One with his wife.

George H.W. Bush had many achievements during his lifetime. He was actually enlisted into the U.S. Navy reserve and was the youngest pilot in the U.S. Navy Reserve.  He was shot down over the pacific and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. Bush also became the first Republican to ever represent Houston, TX in congress in the election of 1966. George H.W. Bush tried to run for president in the Republican Party in 1980. However, Ronald Reagan was picked to represent the Republican Party so George H.W. Bush dropped out, but much to people’s surprise Reagan actually chose Bush to be his running mate in the 1980 election. They won and were re-elected in the 1984 election. Bush sought out the presidency once again in 1988 and won the republican nomination over a large pool of other candidates. He won by a decent margin over his counterpart Michael Dukakis.

George H.W. Bush had many accomplishments during his presidency, but the two that stand out the most are the passage of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and his successful prosecution on of war to liberate Kuwait from Iraqi occupation. Jarel White, Lafayette Senior and Ledger editor, said, “His impact on contemporary politics can still be felt today and that his legacy will live on.”. He was defeated by his rival Bill Clinton when he was up for re-election in 1992, however he had the pleasure of watching his son George W Bush be sworn in as the 43rd President in 2001. Another of the many accomplishments George H.W. Bush had was in 2011, when Barack Obama recognized his lifetime contribution and awarded Bush with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which is the nation’s highest civilian honor.

The Lafayette High School Senior David Berry who is very sad about the Presidents passing.

President George W Bush’s portrait as the 43rd President.

The funeral for the 41st President had his casket arrived Monday at the US Capitol building for public display and to allow people to pay their respects and see the former president. Trump has also ordered a state of  mourning and ordered all public service flags to be put at half-staff to pay respect to the 41st President’s passing.

There was a public open casket which took place from 7:30pm Monday and stayed until 8:45 Wednesday. On Monday, President Bush was in his home in Houston, TX where his family members such as the 43rd President George W Bush and the Governor of Florida Jeb Bush have private moments with their father. His body was then to be flown by Air Force One with his family to Joint Base Andrews in Maryland. Kyle Baker, the Jamestown Senior, said “It is one of the saddest passing of President I have ever seen in my lifetime.” After remaining at Base Andrews in Maryland the Presidents body was flown to Ellington Field Joint Base in Houston. This began the arrival ceremony at Ellington Field on Wednesday at around 4:00 p.m. He was then moved to St. Martin’s Episcopal Church in Houston, TX, where another Arrival ceremony is took place the same day around 7:00 p.m. The President remained resting in the church until around 7:00 a.m. Thursday. Come Thursday at 11:00 a.m. when the funeral service at St. Martin’s Episcopal Church started. Later around 4:00 the President arrived by train to his arrival ceremony at Texas A&M, and was put in his final resting place on the campus of Texas A&M at his presidential library.

People mourning the loss of the beloved 41st President.

In conclusion, the 41st President George H.W. Bush’s passing was extremely heart breaking to many people who were supporters of this early pioneer of the Republican Party.

The Lafayette High School Senior Jarel White who is a big fan of the 41st President.

His accomplishments such as his passing of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), his war to liberate Kuwait from Iraqi occupation, and the vast other achievements like the award given to him by the 2011 president Obama. He was also able to watch both his sons George W Bush and Jeb Bush achieve high office. He will be remembered by many for his great achievements and his great attitude as a president which made both Republicans and Democrats feel his passing.