Steelers OC Matt Canada fired

First time the Steelers have made a mid-season coaching change since 1941.
Matt+Canada+on+field+before+the+game+VS+Jacksonville+Jaguars%2C+at+Acrisure+Stadium+in+Pittsburgh%2C+PA.+
Philip G. Pavely-USA TODAY Sports
Matt Canada on field before the game VS Jacksonville Jaguars, at Acrisure Stadium in Pittsburgh, PA.

On Tuesday, November 21st, 2023, the Pittsburgh Steelers fired their Offensive Coordinator, Matt Canada. This is the first time that the Steelers have made a mid-season coaching change since their 1941 season, making this an extremely rare occurrence for the Steelers. The Steelers, who started off 6-4 before the firing, had been outgained in every one of their games. The Steelers had also not had one singular game where they got over 400 offensive yards, a feat that every other team in the NFL had done at least 3 times, and yes, that includes the Jets. They also only had two games where they had 30 or more points. After a crushing loss against the Browns, a game that ended with a final score of 13-10, and a terrible offensive showing for the Steelers, the decision was made by coach Tomlin, a Hampton Roads native, and William & Mary graduate, to fire Canada. Steelers fans have been advocating for Canada to be fired for the entire season, with fans chanting “Fire Canada!” at various places & events across the US, with it being chanted at a hockey game in Pittsburgh, at the Capitol in Washington D.C., in Salt Lake City at the campus at BYU, at the mountains of Virginia at JMU. The fans have been extremely vocal about Canada being fired, and they’re wishes finally come true. As I’m writing this, the Steelers have only played one game after the firing, but it was without a doubt the best game they have played so far this year. For starters, the steelers had their first 400+ yard game for the first time since Canada came into his position.

Diontae Johnson talking to a referee after a play in the fourth quarter. (Joseph Maiorana)

Kenny Pickett, the Steelers quarterback, looked the most comfortable he has ever looked this season, and almost had a touchdown pass to Diontae Johnson, but it was ruled an incompletion, even though after replay it was found Johnson had 3 feet in bounds, completing the pass and completing a touchdown, but Mike Tomlin, the Steelers Head Coach, decided to not challenge the play. The following play, Diontae Johnson showed no effort to block or make a play when Jaylen Warren fumbled the ball to the Bengals, who returned it for about 30 yards. Kenny Pickett would end up passing for 278 yards, and Pat Freiermuth would lead the league that week for most receiving yards, with 120.

Pat Freiermuth being tackled by Nick Scott after a pass in the first quarter. (Kareem Elgazzar)

The NFL is a professional football league located in the United States that was founded in 1920. The NFL consists of 32 teams, 2 conferences, and each conference has 4 divisions each with 4 teams. The Pittsburgh Steelers were founded in 1933. The steelers are a part of the AFC North division. Matt Canada is a former OC for the steelers, who was born in 1972. Before being hired by the Steelers, Matt was a Offensive Coordinator at Northern Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, NC State, University of Pittsburgh, LSU, Maryland, and was the Quarterbacks Coach for the Steelers, before getting the job at Offensive Coordinator. The Steelers are currently 2nd in the AFC North, and hold the top spot in the wild card, with a 7-5 record.