Lafayette Spotlight: Kirsten Snyder

Meet Kirsten Snyder. She is one of the many Special Education teachers at Lafayette High School!

INTERVIEW:

Q: What college did you attend?

A: Bridgewater College for undergrad in psychology, then Liberty University for Master of Arts in Teaching.

Q: Why did you decide to teach?

A: I always enjoyed working with children but never thought I would be a teacher. After graduating from Bridgewater College, it was difficult for me to find work that I was interested in and used my degree because I lived in a small town with limited options. I lived on my own so I needed to find a job quickly. I started nannying for a little boy with special needs and decided I would enjoy working with other kids like him in schools. I began school online while I worked and the rest is history. 

Q: What do you love about your job?

A: It may sound cliche, but I love watching all my student make connections with what we learn in the classroom and applying it to their life outside of school. I want all my students to have a successful like as they leave high school. For example, I teach culinary skills and gardening, when students cook at home for their families or tell me about plants they want to have around their house, it makes everything more meaningful to me. 

Q: Where were you born and raised?

A: Smithfield, Virginia

Q: What do you do at Lafayette?

A: I teach students functional academics in reaching, math, science, and history as well as life skills and independent living skills. I am currently trying to revamp the school garden and greenhouse so it can be a part of the school community.

Q: What do you typically bring for lunch?

A: Typically, I have a peanut butter protein shake or leftovers from home. 

Q: If you could choose a superpower, which one would it be and why?

A: As a child, I wanted to fly. However, as an adult, I love being in the garden or grow succulents and cacti so I would pick a power to bring plants back to life. 

Q: What’s your favorite color?

A: Yellow.

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: I like to play videos on my PC, spend time in the garden, and try to be outisde as much as I can.

Q: Do you have any advice for young people today?

A: My advice would be to be confident in who you are. I spent most of my childhood being bullied for a variety of things. As a young adult, it was difficult to be true to myself and allow others to see who I really am. I always encourage my students to be themselves and be confident about it. Don’t let others make you feel like you can’t do or try anything.