Summer Blockbusters

This Summer is a great time to head down to the movie their and catch all the new films that will be hitting the big screen!

43 school days until the official end of the 2018-19 school year and students and teachers alike could not be happier.

With the start of the summer quickly approaching, students and adults are looking for fun things to do. Usually, summer is a time spent relaxing at the beach or taking vacations to exotic places. This year, however, that could start to change. Movie theatres are constantly coming out with new and exciting blockbusters and this summer is no exception! There are loads of new films coming out and you may have to take a pause on your summer planning until you take a look at all the exciting movies that will be coming to the big screen. Some of these movies include “Avengers: Endgame”, “The Lion King (Live Action)”, “Toy Story 4”, and so much more! SO get ready, because this summer could become like its own movie marathon!

Samantha Venable
Caitlyn Morton, a Lafayette High School student, can’t wait for Avengers: Endgame to finally premier!

“Avengers: Endgame” will come out in theatres April 26th, 2019. That’s right, the long anticipated wait for the next Avengers movie is almost over. Caitlyn Morton, a sophomore at Lafayette High School is most excited for “Avengers: Endgame.” Caitlyn says, “I’ve watched every single Marvel movie and I’m excited to see how they begin to wrap things up. After the last movie they left us on such a cliffhanger and I hope they come to a decent resolution.” Directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, the film includes stars such as Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, and Scarlett Johansson. A sequel to 2012’s “Marvel’s The Avengers”, 2015’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron”, and 2018’s Avengers: Infinity War,” the film centers around the surviving members of the Avengers and their allies/friends. It follows their journey to reverse the pain and misery caused by Thanos in the last Avengers movie. “Avengers: Endgame” will be the 22nd film in the Marvel universe.

Samantha Venable
Kathernie Lenahan, a freshman at Lafayette High School, takes time out of her day to take a look at the Lion King (Live Action) trailer.

“The Lion King (Live Action)” will premiere on July 19th, 2019. Right in the middle of summer, this beloved and classic Disney tale make its way back to the big screen. The original Lion King movie came out in 1994 and was completely animated. The new Lion King is live action because it is being produced by Walt Disney Picture (which produces live-action films) and not by Walt Disney Animation Studios (which produces animated films). The cast includes voices by Donald Glover, James Earl Jones, Seth Rogen, and Beyoncé. Sophomore Marina Earle says that she is most excited for Lion King (Live Action). “I am a huge fan of the movie and stage version and I’m excited to see how they capture the divide between animal and human. I’m also excited to see Donald Rover as Simba because I am a huge fan,” says Marina. The plot of this film will remain very similar to the original movie. However, this film will be directed by Jon Favreau whereas the 1994 film was directed by Rob Minkoff and Rodger Allens.

Samantha Venable
Maddi Overy (Left), Caitlyn Morton (Middle), and Mae O’Neil (Right), enjoy watching the trailer for the Toy Story 4 film.

“Toy Story 4” will appear on the big screen on June 21st, 2019. This movie is a sequel to 3 previous Toy Story movies. Directed by Josh Cooley, the movie features the voices of Tom Hanks as Woody and Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear. We all know and love the characters of Toy Story and when the news of a fourth movie arose, people were ecstatic. The film continues after Toy Story 3 and picks up with Woody, Buzz and all the other toys enjoying life with their new owner Bonnie. The friends are introduced to a new toy named Forky (Who is played by Tony Hale), and all togethher they embark on a road trip adventure together during the course of the film. Featuring returning cast members such as Annie Potts, who will be returning to her role of Bo Peep, diehard fans will doubtless be happy to know that Don Rickles, who died in April of 2017, will be able to reprise his role of Mr. Potato Head through the use of archival recordings.

Disneyland [Public domain]
Frozen 2, which will premier in November, is a sequel to Disney’s famous 2013 film, Frozen.
Abben34 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)]
Fans around the world can’t wait to see what happens in the next Star Wars movie!
Summer brings exciting things for the movie world but there are also new films that will be making their debut in the fall in winter. These films are just as exciting and should not be forgotten. Some of these films include “Frozen 2” and “Star Wars: Episode IX”. “Frozen 2” will come out on November 22nd, 2019. It will be directed by Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck and it will  feature returning actors and actresses such as Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell. “Star Wars: Episode IX” premiers December 20, 2019. Ninth in the Star Wars series (hence the name), the movie will be directed by J.J. Abrams and will star Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, and John Boyega, who are all returning to reprise previous roles. These are just to name a few of the new movies that will be hitting the big screen in 2019 so keep an eye out for all these new films and so many more!