Lafayette Looses First Meeting Against Rival Jamestown

Lafayette comes out of the gates flat in a 13-1 loss.

Aaron Adam

Lafayette students are disappointed after a tough loss to town rival Jamestown.

The most anticipated game of Lafayette’s baseball season to date was played on the evening of May 10,2019. The Rams went into this game with high hopes and revenge in mind, after losing to Jamestown three times last season (once at home, once away, and once in the playoffs).

To lead off the game, Freshman Luke Hanson was the batter. Hanson seemed to be nervous as he had a rare-looking strike out. Junior Thomas McLaughlin hit a hard ground ball to shortstop Ethan Weaver, but a throwing error allowed the Rams’ first base runner of the night. The next two batters flew out to end the top of the first.

Aaron Adam
Lafayette starting Pitcher Drew Ramos faces a tough outing in the biggest game of the season to date.

In the bottom of the first Jamestown looked to take advantage of Lafayette’s Junior pitcher Drew Ramos. After walking the first three batters, Ramos battled back to strike out the clean up hitter Josh Ammons.  The next batter was Ryan Pasterick, who hit a shallow fly ball to center field, caught for an out but allowed the runner from third to score, putting the Eagles up 1-0. Bobby Dudeck was next and he put a ball in the outfield scoring 2 runs to add to Jamestown’s strong start. The next batter, Isaac Tucker, struck out ending the bottom of the first.

Leading off the top of the second, Rams’ third basemen Ricky Sullivan hit a pop fly on his first pitch to the center fielder. Next, Golub struck out, making the second out. Michael Labella reached first on an error by Eagles Jared Mason putting life on the Lafayette bench. Sophomore South McDowell wanted to move the runner over but failed, hitting into a fielder’s choice, ending the inning.

After 2 walks to the bottom of the Jamestown order, Ramos gave up 2 hits and allowed 2 runs. Next at bat #14 came up and ripped a 3 run double into the right center gap. Following a ground out to shortstop, Bobby Dudeck hit a sacrifice fly to center fielder Michael Labella, scoring  Josh Ammons to make the score 9-0 Jamestown. 

Leading off the top of the third, Lafayette’s Ramos walked and was pinch run for by Brek Moreno. Following the fly out by Hanson, McLaughn grounded to third base, but a throwing error by the third baseman allowed both Moreno and Mclaughn to be safe. With two outs ODU commit Geo Riveria came up, but flew out on the second pitch to the SS to end the Rams’ half of the 3rd. 

Aaron Adam
Third baseman Ricky Sullivan returning to his position after a diving stop to hold the runners and save a run.

In the bottom of the 3rd the Rams sent out Jr. Michael Labella to pitch, hoping for some different outcomes. The first batter he faced was Reed Lampert, known for his plate discipline; he walked on 5 pitches. The first pitch to the next batter, Corey Comeaux was a wild pitch allowing Reed to move to second base. The next 3 pitches Labella threw were all off-speed to strike out the threat. Ethan Weaver was next but on the second pitch hit a sharp ground ball, but Senior Ricky Sullivan was there to make the diving play to hold the runners, allowing Weaver to make it safely to first. With two outs and a runner in scoring position, Jared Mason came up to bat, working the count to 2-2.  Labella got him to fly out to end the inning.

Leading off the top of the fourth was Ricky Sullivan. After his first to pitches hit sharply down the line foul he worried his count full and ended up drawing a walk. Rams 1B Jacob Golub was the next batter, the first pitch was  a ball taken for a strike, allowing Sullivan to steal second base. Golub struck out swinging but Sullivan stole 3rd base. The next batter was pitcher Michael Labella.  On the first pitch he smacked a ball deep into the CF gap but was caught, allowing Sullivan to score. Rams’ catcher Sophmore South McDowell on his first pitch hit a pall to center field caught by Eagles Colin Boll to end the inning. 

To start off the Eagles half of the 4th, Josh Ammons flew out to LF Perozek. The next batter Senior Ryan Pasterick walked with one out in the inning. Eagles batter Bobby Dudeck hit a ball to the bottom of the fence in center field, legging out double and advancing Pasterick to 3rd. With 2 out Reed came up to bat and flew out to LF to end the inning and allow no more of a threat for the Rams.

In the Rams half of the 5th Tegan Perozek strolled to the plate, on his first pitch he flew out to the catcher. Next up was the Rams leadoff batter Luke Hanson, Hanson struck out on 4 pitches. McLaughn was now up looking to start a rally to put life back in the Rams bench. On his first pitch he hit a weak ground ball to the third baseman, ending the top of the fifth. 

Aaron Adam
Junior Michael Labella is ready, having come in to relieve for the Rams to hopefully stop the Eagles.

In the bottom of the fifth Jamestown looked to hopefully put the nail in the coffin of Lafayette. Comeaux was the first batter and he launched a ball in to CF for a lead off double. Weaver was next and he put a ball in the OF to score Comeaux. A passed ball by the Rams allowed Comeaux to take third base and move him 90 feet closer to home with no outs. Following a single scoring one to make the tally 10-1 in the Eagles favor, Senior Colin Boll came up. Labella seemed to have missed his spot inside and hit the batter with a curveball. Mason was next, and he hit a bloop over 3rd to load the bases. The first to pitches to the batter Ammons were curve balls in there for strikes. The 4th pitch of the AB was a shot down the LF line foul, which would have scored 2 easily. Following the foul ball Labella came back to strike him out. With one out in the inning, Pasterick came up with the bases loaded, his intention to end the Rams’ hopes. He did not disappoint, hitting a grand slam to secure the mercy rule victory with a final score of 13-1 Jamestown.