Summer Employment

Lafayette Students and members of the community explain their Summer jobs

Matt Rice

A popular job in the summer is working as a lifeguard because you get to work outside and cool of in the pool

Summer jobs. Most of us dread them but we’ve all got them. It gets you out of the house and keeps you busy on those long, hot summer days. In Williamsburg there are so many opportunities to find summer jobs. There is something for all ages whether it’s being a nanny, waitressing, lifeguarding, or working in an amusement park. Most pay minimum wage, but if you’re lucky you may find a job that pays higher!

Emmi Spence
Krustie Feeterson, senior, works as a beverage cart girl at the Ford’s Colony golf courses

Lafayette High School Senior Kirstie Peterson recently started her first summer job at the Ford’s Colony Country Club. She is going on her third week as the beverage cart girl and is very excited for the upcoming summer and being a part of the staff. The job helps her learn customer service as well as other job skills she will be able to use later on in life. Peterson explains “I drive around the golf course and ask golfers if they want food or drinks, and serve it to them.” An average work week for her includes four eight hour shifts. The long days aren’t for nothing, she gets to take home 18% of all of the sales as well as tips for the day.

With hot humid days creeping around the corner, everyone is getting ready for long pool days. Lafayette High School alumni Grace Macomber works as a lifeguard in the Windsor Forrest neighborhood. This upcoming summer will be her sixth year working there. Her job includes many tasks, as Macomber described “My job consists of guarding lives, providing safe environment for swimmers of all skill levels, and making all members feel welcomed.” After many years of hard work, Macomber was promoted to Pool Manager. This promotion earned her a pay above minimum wage.

Grayson Cheek
Many students work at ice cream places because they escape the Sun and work with ice cream

Ice cream is a top seller during summertime, and quite the popular place to be is Baskin Robbins! James Madison University rising Junior Allison Walls is a manager at the Colonial Williamsburg Baskin Robbins location. This summer marks her sixth year on staff here. Her dedication and hard work have earned her a pay slightly over minimum wage. This position entails lots of customer service and food preparation. Her schedule is quite busy, Walls explained, “During the day I work eight hours and at night I work five hours. I work 5 days a week.”

Ben Dallman, senior, is a supervisor of Guest Relations at Busch Gardens

If you’re looking for an adrenaline rush, then you should hit the Busch Gardens here in town! Not only is it a huge tourist attraction, it is a great place for a summer job. Graduating LHS senior Ben Dallman works at Busch. More specifically, he is the Supervisor of Guest Relations. Dallman has a lot of responsibilities under his job title, he explains, “I’m in charge of team members, team leads, making a budget, having supplies, resolving high level guest issues, and making sure that the company policy is followed.” With so many things to watch over and run, Dallman luckily earns more than minimum wage. Dallman maintains a pretty schedule “I work five to six days a week and eight to fourteen hours a shift,” he explained.

Graduating Jamestown High School senior Jenny Spratt works in the child care department at Williamsburg Indoor Sports Complex (WISC). Her job requires that she provide childcare and all that comes with it, such as feeding them lunch and snacks, helping with homework, and getting them to play a lot of games.  Despite what some people would think, childcare isn’t easy. It’s a lot of hard work and takes a special person and, luckily, pays above minimum wage. Her schedule varies depending on the time of year. Spratt explains, “During the school year I work twelve to fifteen hour weeks but during the summer I work forty-five hour weeks.”

Summer jobs are great for real world work experience. You can learn a lot of things while working, such as how to take initiative and fulfill responsibilities as well as customer service and communication skills. These are skills that future employers will be looking for when hiring and it’s better to get a head start while you can. They are a good way to earn money, get out of the house, and gain work experience for he future. There is something for everyone, you just need to get out and look so you can find one that suits you!