All About AP Exams

A Month Full of Stress and Anxiety

Jacquelyn Boesler

Juniors Claire Kennis and Lauren Wrann angrily study for their AP United States History exam. Lauren is using her packet given by her teacher to study and Claire is using a book she borrowed from a friend to study.

Although school is soon coming to a close for the year, students need to be reminded that there are still many tests left. May is a month full of stress and disappointment, especially for students taking AP tests. AP tests are optional post-assessments after a student takes an AP course. Depending on the college, certain scores on these tests can exempt you from having to take that class in college. Not only would you not have to take that class if you pass, you also save the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of dollars it costs to take the class in college. The average cost per credit hour of a college class is $594. Most colleges consider a “3” on the exam a passing score. AP tests are graded on a 5 point scale. A “1” is considered no recommendation, a “2” means possibly qualified, a “3” means qualified, a “4” is considered well qualified, and a “5” means extremely well qualified. It is every AP test taker’s dream to get a “5” on their exam.

The reason AP tests are so stressful is because they take hours of preparation and concentration. There is no “best way” to study for these tests. Every student requires a different study method. In some classes, like AP US History, the teacher creates a packet or preparation guide to help their students pass. Junior Amara Haynes is studying for her AP US History test by using the packet that Mr. Legawiec created and also having study groups with friends. However, there are a variety of other ways to study. Junior Claire Kennis is preparing for her AP US History and AP English Language and Composition exams by using a self-guided book and going to after school sessions hosted by her teachers. Mrs. Pottle, one of the guidance counselors here at Lafayette, suggests students study by attending review sessions with the course’s teacher, looking at recently released exams on the College Board website, and visiting AP twitter sites.

Jacquelyn Boesler
Using a textbook, junior Alaina McKnight is studying for her AP Language and Composition exam which is on Wednesday, May 16th.

The time and effort required to get a good score on an AP test can be crushing.  It amounts to hours and hours reviewing and ensuring complete understanding all of the information needed to pass. Although it is recommended that you start preparing at latest a month before the exam, most students don’t start preparing till the week before. Junior Alaina McKnight still has not yet started to prepare for her AP English Language and Composition exam. She plans on doing all of her test prep the weekend before. However, other students like Juniors Lauren Wrann and Amara Haynes started preparing for their exams in March. Although some people decide to start studying at the last minute, it means nothing, because every student is different.

One of the biggest questions that students must answer is deciding whether or not to take an AP exam for their AP class. Most teachers encourage their students to take the exam, because they claim that it shows that the student retained the information taught and gives closure to a class. Mrs. Pottle recommends that you should take the exams for the classes for the college credit. Also, she says it is your first chance at getting college level exam experience. This year, Alaina McKnight took AP US History, AP English Language and Composition, and AP Calculus and is only taking the AP US History exam and the AP English Language and Composition exam. She said, “I was influenced to take the APUSH one, because of my teacher. I’m taking the AP Lang one, because I don’t want to take it in college. I’m not taking the AP Calculus one, because it is extremely difficult for me.”

Jacquelyn Boesler
Using diagrams and notes from class, John Adkins is studying for his AP Biology exam and hopes to get a perfect score on it.

Other frequently asked questions in regard to AP exams is when to send your scores to colleges. Unfortunately, if you want to send one of your scores, then you have to send all. This means that if you received a “5” on three different exams, but received a “1” on a different exam, then you have to send in your score of “1” along with the three “5’s.” This concept scares students away from wanting to submit their scores to colleges, because they believe it will harm their chances of acceptance. However, colleges claim that AP exams are not used to determine whether a student is qualified for their school or not. Mrs. Pottle says that you should submit your AP scores after you are accepted.

Overall, everyone is different in deciding their approach towards AP exams. With many benefits if you pass, AP exams are great opportunities for students to express their knowledge. With the right preparation, students should feel comfortable with these exams and know that if they fail, it is not the end of the world.