Prom: Then & Now

The “worth it” dance becomes the “whatever” dance

Kimberly Whitehead

Signs announcing prom season festoon the halls and walls of Lafayette.

Music fills the room as couples sway back and forth. The room is decorated to perfection and some students decide to eat snacks at the food table. This is the image of prom that has been ingrained in the minds of many students. This is not at all surprising because movies like ‘Prom’ and ‘Pretty In Pink’ depict the perfect prom experience. However, this is not how most millennials experience prom.

The shift may come as a shock to previous generations. Prom was the highlight of the high school, a way of ending the school year. Most of the time you will find that adults talk highly of their Prom. Mrs. Crowley and Mrs. Bahl-Moore both felt prom was a “big deal.”  When questioned on why prom was a ‘big deal’, Mrs. Bahl-Moore stated, “I thought it was big deal because we really don’t have many chances to dress up in beautiful gowns.” Dress shopping and finding the perfect tux are what occupy the majority of people’s thoughts of prom. Junior Nash McDowell even said one of her reasons for going to prom was, “to see how good everyone looks.” Even though it can be annoying when your Instagram feed is filled with prom pictures, there is a sense of wonder and excitement about what everyone is wearing.

Finding the perfect outfit for prom has not changed over the years. However, after-prom is starting to become a thing of the past. Students today rarely go to a school- sponsored after-prom event. This year, the senior class of Lafayette High voted against having one. Senior Grayson Cheek put it best, “Most kids would rather be with their friends and do their own thing.” This is a contrast from both teachers, who found after prom to be a great time. ”We stayed all night in a farmhouse and had a great time,” stated Mrs. Crowley.  Mrs. Bahl-Moore, who attended Lafayette High, loved the circus-themed after prom that the Parent Teacher Student Association held when she was a student. Although the current after-prom experience at school doesn’t excite many students, this doesn’t mean that there is no after-prom for millennials. Most of the time, you can find students eating at IHOP, going to friends’ houses or sleeping in their beds.

The big question people are starting to ask is, “Is Prom Worth It?”  The majority of Lafayette students said ‘yes’. If students feel prom is worth it, why is there a decline in attendance? Every person interviewed felt that prom is expensive. Prom used to be a smaller investment than it is today. By the time Mrs. Crowley sent her sons to prom, she felt it had become an “expensive deal”.

The exorbitant costs can make any girl gasp when shopping for a prom dress.

But the cost of a ticket is not the deal-breaker for most kids. It is the cost of the outfits, food, corsages/boutonnieres and gas. For an average high school student, the mounting cost can seem out of reach. Senior Terrell Jefferson said, “I don’t think people need to spend a ton of money to have fun.” It is easy to find a dress well over $200. The idea of eating out at a nice restaurant is great, but the menu prices may be too much on a high school budget. Prom is becoming a business and students are the victims.

Nevertheless, many will still pay the price for the experience of prom. As Junior Taylor Gubler said, “Prom is a rite of passage,”  Prom is still a huge part of high school and it is the memories that will be with you forever. Even if social events are not fun in your opinion, it is good to go at least once. There is a reason why so many still pay for and talk about prom in the high school hallways. Everyone, for the most part, feels that prom is a worthwhile experience.