Seniors’ Last Month

Seniors are going through their last month of high school and preparing for the next few years of their lives.

Madison+Meredith+receives+her+acceptance+letter+for+the+University+of+Virginia.+

Photo courtesy of Madison Meredith

Madison Meredith receives her acceptance letter for the University of Virginia.

As we reach the end of the school year, seniors are ready to start a new chapter in their lives.  Seniors have either committed to college or created a plan for the next few years.  There is a lot to get done, and not a lot of time to do it in.  With only one month left of school, seniors are focused on last minute preparations and their last summer before college.

Senior, Trace Scordo, wears his JMU shirt after deciding to attend school there in the fall.

Many seniors are excited to start going to college in the fall, including senior Madison Meredith.  Madison spoke out about her amazing scholarship opportunity at the University of Virginia.  She proudly explained, “I have been accepted to the University of Virginia and I received a scholarship through the Echols Scholar Program”.  She went on to say that she cannot wait to see what lies ahead. Many other seniors are attending school right here in Virginia too.  Senior Trace Scordo is excited to attend James Madison University.  Hannah Figgs and Chris Paolucci are happy to be attending Virginia Tech together in the fall.

Some seniors are taking advantage of their last summer before they go off to college.  It is very common for seniors to go on a vacation with their friends or family the summer after their senior year.  Senior Zach Galli, was very excited to say, “I’m going to France with Lucas for two weeks”.  This is just one of many senior vacation plans.  Others are going on road trips with friends, who are also going off to college, as a way to say goodbye.

Seniors, Hannah Figgs and Chris Pallucci, are very excited to be attending the same school in the fall.

Seniors also reminisce on their favorite high school memory to date.  Seniors Hannah Figgs and Chris Paolucci, say that their favorite high school memory is “being together,” as they have been dating since eighth grade.  Other seniors say that their favorite memory has not yet happened because their favorite memory will be graduating at the end of the year.  High school is full of ups and downs, but the memories that seniors have of the past four years of their lives will last forever.

There are also many “last moments” that seniors have experienced.  Senior, Eric Stump, talks about his last spring musical with Lafayette High School.  He has participated in multiple shows, including One Acts, spring musicals, and has even directed his class One Act.  He finished his spring musicals at LHS theater with a bang, as he was a lead in Mary Poppins in April.  Eric says, “I will definitely miss being a part of the spring musical because I have done it every year since I was a freshman.  I have made so many new friends who are really more like family to me.  I am going to miss it, but I still have the junior/senior show and the class one act before I graduate”.  Over the year, seniors have also had their last basketball game, football game, etc.

Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors are also going through a lot in the seniors’ last month of high school.  Whether being friends with a senior or related to one, almost every student is affected by this year’s graduation.  Freshman Maddie Overy says, “I feel like I have gotten close to so many of the seniors this year.  Since I did the One act and the musical, I am with people from different grades all the time.  My best friend is a senior and it is honestly going to be so hard to say goodbye”.  In this last month, seniors are also trying to spend time with underclassmen.

Overall, the seniors are very excited to be finishing high school, but they are also sad about leaving.  Most seniors are going to college in the fall and are very anxious.  Preparations for the summer and for college are keeping seniors very busy in their last month of high school.

FIX PHOTO ATTRIBUTIONS PLEASE