Walkout Scheduled for March 14th

Students take action at Lafayette and across the country

In light of the recent tragedy in Parkland, Florida, part of a nationwide school shooting epidemic, Lafayette students have been working with administrators to organize a walkout.  The walkout will take place on Wednesday, March 14, at 10 AM (during 2nd block).  It will last 17 minutes to symbolize the 17 lives lost at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.  Students walking out at Lafayette will join thousands of other high schoolers around the nation, including those at Jamestown and Warhill, in a movement coordinated by the group of activists behind last year’s Women’s March.

Although no ticket is required to walk out, students wishing to participate are encouraged to purchase a handmade orange ribbon.  The ribbons, which will be sold at all three lunches through Tuesday, cost $1.  All proceeds will be donated to relief efforts in Parkland.

The walkout has no explicit political purpose, so every student, regardless of opinion, is welcome to join the movement.  Many students are planning to make posters in support of their cause.  Some will use the 17 minutes to voice support for stricter gun laws, some will raise awareness for mental health issues, and some will use the time simply to remember the victims.  Despite diverse perspectives, the walkout looks to be a moment of unity for Lafayette’s student body.