Stoneman Douglas High School Shooting

People in Florida are grieving the deaths of the 17 victims of the Stoneman Douglas High school shooting.

Students+walk+outside+the+school+with+hands+on+eachothers+shoulders+showing+they+are+not+a+threat.+The+Millitary+and+police+evacuated+the+building+as+quick+as+possible.+

Allen

Students walk outside the school with hands on eachothers shoulders showing they are not a threat. The Millitary and police evacuated the building as quick as possible.

On February 14th 2018, Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida experienced a tragic nightmare. Right now we know that 17 victims of students and faculty are dead and many more are injured in the attack. The shooter was identified as Nikolas Cruz who was a former student of the school. Nikolas is 19 years old and attended the school a year earlier. It was said the Cruz bought a weapon (AR-15) on February 11th, 2017 and picked it up 7 days later after passing a background check. The day after Cruz got the gun he got suspended for one day and a threat assessment was ordered on him.

This day started out like any other for the high school students of Stoneman Douglas. It was said Cruz took an uber to the school and was dropped off around 2:19pm. He pulled the fire alarm to get students out of class and started shooting into classrooms and students in hallways at 2:21pm and dropped his rife and backpack at 2:27pm. At 2:29pm, Cruz was exiting the building and trying to blend in with all of the students exiting the building in panic. He got to a Wal-Mart near the school around 2:50pm and then left on foot to McDonalds where shortly after he was detained at 3:41pm. Cruz was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder

Wilfredo Lee
Families were tearfully reunited after a traumatic Valentine’s Day in Parkland.

Of the 17 people killed in the shooting, 12 were killed in the school, 2 were killed outside, 1 died on the street and another 2 died on the way to the hospital. 14 more people were injured during the shooting. Many people are debating what should happen with guns in order to stop shootings like these and how to make our schools safer. This is what we know on the shooting so far and we will keep you updated when we know more.

UPDATE: It has been a week after the shooting at Stoneman Douglas high school. There has been a lot of talk about gun control and many protests against guns. There have also been many walkouts to remember those who were killed in the shooting. Marco Rubio faced backlash after the shooting in Florida when he told the public that most of the tougher gun restrictions that others have proposed wouldn’t have prevented the shooting. Students and staff at a south Florida high school  walked out of their school on Tuesday to protest gun violence and marched their way to Stonman Douglas high school where the shooting took place. Protests were also taken place Tuesday at Fort Lauderdale High School and McArthur High in Hollywood, Fla. One of the largest events was when the students and staff at West Boca Raton Community High School marched with police to Stonman Douglas high school 10 miles away chanting “We want change” the whole way. There is a nation wide walkout planed for march 14th  for 17 minutes to remember those who were lost in the shooting and to protest guns. Obviously people want change and our hoping to get it, we will have to watch the news to see what will be done about these problems.