Disturbing Rumor of Recycling Discontinuation

Jessica Poley

The recycling bin outside of Lafayette High School is used by students, teachers, and staff every day to help the environment.

Recently, a rumor has been circulating that WJCC Public Schools had discontinued their recycling program. Once we received information on this issue, it clearly became necessary to uncover the truth. After investigating, we established unequivocally that the dismissal of the WJCC recycling program is simply a rumor, and this program is alive and well at Lafayette and throughout the WJCC schools.

The rumor alleged that the School Board had cancelled the recycling program because it was not “cost efficient.” Lack of concrete information from the School Board contributed to the concern of people such as Avery Walters, who stated that the School Board has not had a good history with recycling, and the recycling program being used has not been very efficient in the past.  One of Walters’s main goals has been to make the program more efficient because it is part of our duty to recycle. One day after the initial concerning reports, Walters had spoken to school board member Lisa Ownby, and she said that the program is still in place.

Jessica Poley
Students of Lafayette throw paper into recycling bins provided in each classroom every day to stay green.

Recycling at Lafayette keeps the school green; this program prevents more waste from going into the local landfill. Special Ed. teacher Connie Miller, who is involved in the recycling program at Lafayette, explained how the program works, saying that teachers and students sort recyclables into the right bins, which are then picked up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during 3rd block. The recycling is taken to the green dumpster, and this is picked up twice each week. Miller also said that some items such as food waste and bottles with liquid still inside end up in the recycling bin. Although the bottles are appropriate, they must be completely empty, and other items such as food waste are simply not right for the program. If concerns involving recycling still remain after the resolution to this issue, the Sustainability Club, sponsored by Ms. Crowley, is a good springboard for those in our school community who want to focus on recycling and helping the environment. The Lafayette recycling program is a major staple in keeping the school environmentally friendly, and thankfully, contrary to rumor, is still working 3 times a week.