Lafayette Spotlight: Elizabeth Van Duyne

Jaden White

Even as a long-term substitute, she has the commitment of a full-time teacher!

Elizabeth VanDuyne is a long-term substitute that teaches various history related classes. Given she doesn’t have her own classroom, she can seem a bit scattered, but she always works hard to make sure her students can pass with flying colors. Today, we’d like to interview her and gain details on what her LHS experience is like. She may not be a permanent teacher, but she is still part of our Lafayette family!

Q:–What do you do/teach here?

A:–World Geography, US VA, and African American History

Q:–Why did you come to LHS and how many years have you been here?

A:–Technically student teacher, first year here. Placed here by William and Mary. When the previous teacher quit in December, I stepped in as long-term substitute.

Q:–What college did you go to?

A:–Undergrad: University of Saint Andrews in Scotland.

Masters: American University in DC.

Currently going for Master of Education in William and Mary.

Q:–Why did you decide to teach?

A:–Wanted to teach for a very long time. Started after helping friends in high school with history homework. Liked helping them out and helping people enjoy history.

Q:–What do you love about your job?

A:–How many students I get to talk to on a daily basis and getting to know people’s interests and occupations.

Q:–Do you have any advice for young people today?

A:–You know more than you think you do; you just have to take a step back to realize that sometimes.

Q:–When you were in High School, what was your dream job?

A:–Wanted to teach since high school.

Q:–Do you have any advice or warnings for new teachers entering the career today?

A:–Be prepared to not get a lot of sleep as a new teacher; you spend a lot of time making a lot of time making prep material and you spend even more time worrying about said students.

Q:–If you could make ONE change to LHS, what would it be?

A:–More opportunities for students who know college isn’t the next step. More technical or life skill opportunities (vocational training).

Q:–If you could choose to be born in another time, which one would you choose and why?

A:–American Revolution because primary area of focus in history research or Ancient Greece because it would be different and interesting to see that history but to experience it as well.