2017 Choral Assessments

Lafayette High School hosts the 2017 Choral Assessments

Photo courtesy: Matt Rapach

Lafayette choir at a performance earlier this year.

March 16th and March 17th, Lafayette High School Choir hosted the 2016-2017 school year Choral Assessments. Choral Assessments involve both a performance part and sight-reading part, both of which are scored on a scale of 1 to 4 with 1 being superior, the best you can get, and 4 being poor, the worst. It is essentially a judgement of both the choral directors and their choirs in the specified district.

Lafayette Honors Choir students assisted with the Assessments by escorting the middle and high school choirs, up to 100 kids at a time, around the building to keep the event running smoothly. Whether running music and scores from the judges to the choral directors or helping out with the sounds and lights on stage, the honors choir students, under the direction of Mr. Matt Rapach, volunteered for two full days to help this event happen. Not only did the choir students help put on the event, but on Thursday the Lafayette choir performed also. The Lafayette choir, mixed with Honors choir and Advanced Choir, sang “Loch Lomond” and “Echo” for the performance portion and scored a 2, Excellent, and then in the sight-reading portion the choir scored a 1, Superior. Mr. Rapach stated, “I am extremely proud of my students in both their performance and volunteering and helping put this event on because it is a lot of work.” If you would like to hear the Lafayette Choir perform soon, their spring concert is May 18th here at Lafayette.

Photo by: Kelsey Huckins
Matt Rapach has been the choir director at Lafayette High School for 3 year now.