Mr.Downs

Beloved Teacher Opens Up about his Contributions to our School Community

A. Keatts

Daniel Downs, World Geography Teacher

Mr.Downs helping his students

Last week I had the pleasure of speaking to one of LHS’s most beloved teachers, Daniel Downs. He’s a young teacher that enjoys what he does, from playing games with his students to playing basketball. Mr. Downs shows energy and enjoyment in everything he does. He is the type of person that will leave a lasting effect on you, and that’s why this reporter decided to interview him: for all he gives to our school community, it’s time to shine the spotlight on him to learn more about this wonderful teacher.

Keatts: What made you want to become a teacher?

Downs: I became a teacher because I love history and I want to inspire my students to love history like I do. I also enjoy coaching basketball, but I found out that I enjoyed being in the class room and having fun with students.

Keatts: Did you have any teachers that inspired you to become a teacher?

Downs: I had many teachers, but I found out that I had more teachers that I hated and despised, and I promised myself that if I became a teacher I would never be like them.

Keatts: So, Mr. Downs what do want to do in the future?

Downs: Keep teaching at LHS and inspire students to reach their full potential.

Keatts: Did any of your teachers inspire you to follow this profession?

Downs: Yes. In college I had a Geography teacher who I looked up to, and he took me under his wing and trained me to become a teacher.

Keatts: What are your goals as a teacher?

Downs: Passing the SOL, but there’s more to that, like having a lasting effect on my students.

Keatts: Do you have any hobbies?

Downs: I like playing basketball, playing games with my sons and watching Netflix with my wife.

Keatts: If you could change anything about schools, what would you change?

Downs: I would make it where students wouldn’t have to take the SOL, because a student may pass the class but fail the SOL and vice versa. I also think we should change the calendar. It’s based on the Gregorian calendar, and think it’s obsolete. We should also make college less expensive and more affordable.

Keatts: What’s your favorite part about being a teacher?

Downs: Playing games, being silly, interacting with my students and not being afraid to be myself.

Daniel Downs is a treasure, a teacher who makes school enjoyable. His class is never boring and always makes you ready to learn.