The Racial Equity Student Alliance

The student-led group that is working towards racial equity in WJCC.

RESA’s LinkTree is linked in our Instagram bio.

RESA, the Racial Student Equity Alliance, is a student-led organization dedicated to creating long lasting racial equity changes in WJCC schools. RESA was founded during the summer of 2020, when a a group of students began discussing racial inequities they had experienced or witnessed throughout their time in public school. After much discussion, the group of students began to write a letter to the school board, requesting certain adjustments to the WJCC education system and curriculum. Through doing this, the students garnered enough support from their peers to hold a meeting with the WJCC superintendent, Superintendent Olwen Herron Ed. D., and in turn, form the Racial Student Equity Alliance.  

A post from RESA’s Instagram to encourage RESA involvement.

Since RESA’s creation, the group has worked collaboratively with many organizations and prominent community members. From working alongside William & Mary staff to the Village (“an organization formed to promote unity and education while building a bridge between local schools and parents”), RESA is committed to fostering and maintaining relationships in the WJCC community. Besides forming community relationships, RESA takes an action-based approach to implementing racial equity. RESA has hosted town hall meetings, spoken at school board meetings, hosted round table discussions, and held meetings with WJCC educators. Through these meetings and advocation, RESA has aided in implementing the first WJCC African American history elective and the first Student Equity Council at the high school level. Student Equity Councils consist of hand-selected student leaders who mediate discussions about equity and collaborate to improve the overall school environment. 

RESA’s Instagram consists of important information about future meetings and updates on projects.

Prior to RESA’s first town hall meeting, students worked collaboratively to formulate main points to be addressed at the meeting, as well as collected testimonies to read aloud at the town hall. In these testimonies, present and past WJCC students addressed accounts of racism and discrimination they had experienced while in school, highlighting the lack of change implemented into the WJCC school system since the 1960’s. At the town hall, many WJCC educators were present, such as the superintendent, guidance counselors, the school board, administrators, principals, teachers, and more. Students addressed the list of demands and read aloud the personal testimonies to the town hall. Many people were taken aback listening to the testimonies and became even emotional. It was there that it was announced that the first African American history elective in WJCC history would begin being taught the following school year: the town hall was a success.  

To join RESA’s remind, follow the instructions in the picture.

However, RESA’s work is not complete. To make changes towards racial equity, RESA has five main points that must be addressed and implemented. First, RESA wants to implement a space in each WJCC to anonymously report discrimination that is different than the general bully report system. This would allow students to report accounts of discrimination, without feeling as if their identities were revealed and given reassurance that the account would be acknowledged and dealt with. Furthermore, RESA also wants to strengthen the consequences for racism to ensure a safe environment for all students, faculty, teachers, and more. Through strengthening racism’s consequences, a culture of calling out racism will be normalized and issues such as these will not be prevalent in WJCC schools. RESA is also advocating for a multi-day assembly that discusses minorities’ experiences, white privilege, and racial equity to create an open discussion and educational experience for students, parents, and more. Additionally, RESA wants black students and other students of color to be offered the same opportunities as white students in all educational areas (i.e., AP courses and honors courses). Lastly, RESA wants WJCC to adjust their history curriculum from a white, Eurocentric perspective to an inclusive curriculum of all races and cultures. History has many diverse and interesting perspectives; it would be a loss to not learn history from all perspectives.

Although RESA was formed in 2020, we are still searching for new members who are caring, open-minded, and committed to improving racial equity in WJCC. RESA is dedicated to embracing diversity of thought, culture, background, and race. If you are interested in becoming a member of RESA or know a WJCC student interested in joining, please follow our Instagram (@resa.wjcc) and join RESA’s 2021-2022 school year Remind (@f2e27h8). You can find further information and links to RESA contact and general information at @resawjcc | Linktree.