Wasserman-Schultz Under Fire

Many across the country are questioning the DNC chairwoman’s ability to unite the Democratic party

Bella

Student studies up on Debbie Wasserman-Schultz

A student and his teacher have a heated argument over what should happen to the chairwoman
Bella

We all know how chaotic the 2016 presidential election has been on the Republican side. With Donald Trump becoming the presumptive nominee for the Republican Party, almost all news outlets have put their focus on what such an outcome means for the future of Republicans and the United States as a whole. While a lot of media coverage is going towards Trump, the struggles of the Democratic Party are going unnoticed.

Talk of replacing Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, the Democratic National Convention chairwoman, is at the heart of these recent struggles. Wasserman-Schultz has come under fire in recent weeks after presidential candidate Bernie Sanders expressed his grievances toward her and stated that he supports her primary opponent, Tim Canova, for her spot as Florida’s congressman for the 23rd district. Sanders also stated that if he were elected president, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz would not be reappointed as the chairwoman of the Democratic National Convention. Sanders says his frustration with Schultz stems from the fact that she has consistently sided with his opponent, Hillary Clinton, throughout the Democratic primary race, and that her bias towards Clinton has given Clinton an unfair a

Student reads a recent article about the conflict
Jacob Eck

dvantage. He bases these statements on different things that have happened throughout the primary race such as debates being held on Saturday nights, populous states like New York not allowing independents to vote, and the use of superdelegates, all things that the DNC controls.

While the role of Wasserman-Schultz as chairwoman is supposed to be unifying the Democratic party, she has criticized the Sanders campaign and has compared his supporters at rallies to those of Donald Trump’s. With these comments, Wasserman-Schultz has sparked a mix of anger and resentment in Sander’s supporters, and has made them only less likely to unify with supporters on Clinton’s side. For this reason, many prominent figures have called for Wasserman-Schultz to be replaced, believing that she will not be capable of unifying the Democratic Party in time to defeat Donald Trump in the general election. The DNC needs a chairperson that is able to stay neutral toward both candidates so that a party platform supported by all Democrats can be created. This situation has been creating a sense of uncertainty throughout the Democratic Party, leaving voters to wonder what will happen before the convention in July.

Trying to replace Wasserman-Schultz before July runs the risk of an unorganized and unproductive convention, but her replacement may be the only hope of unifying the Democratic party. No matter what happens, the top priority of almost all Democrats is to defeat Donald Trump in the general election, and that alone may be enough to outweigh the struggles that the Democratic Party is currently facing.