Truth about Trump in their Eyes

A Liberal’s View of the 45th President

Trump addresses his supporters with a speech akin to fire and brimstone making the claims about controversial issues that made him famous in Phoenix, AZ on March 19th, 2016.

Hundreds of civilians rampaging through the streets in Minneapolis, Minnesota on November 13th, 2016, appalled at having someone as controversial as Trump in office.

It’s no surprise that the popular opinion of Trump isn’t a good one. In fact, today we are seeing one of the worst outcries at a president’s actions in office since Nixon. The problems he’s caused have led to dramatic protests across schools, campuses, and monuments alike. His plans for reform include Kate’s law, the RAISE act, mass deportation of illegal immigrants, Muslim travel ban, among others that could influence our relations with foreign countries.

A possible explanation that leans toward personal bias for his proposition of extreme immigration policies is his obvious distrust of the Middle East and under developed countries in the region dealing with wars and ruthless dictators. He temporarily put an all-inclusive ban on Syria for fear of a terrorist attack on home soil as well as one possibly aimed at troops stationed there. Although it was an attempt to calm the anti-Trump protesters, it had no real effect as the sudden inability of Muslim refugees to seek asylum was a much more important to the democrats and specifically the younger liberals who were protesting.

His biggest promise since his induction to the presidency, however, has been to create a gigantic border wall along the border of Mexico to prevent illegal immigration. It is true that the highest concentration of immigrants comes from Mexico; however, the problem can not be solved by throwing out the people that need help and leaving them to the wolves.

Lafayette High School student Torrance Randolph poses for a picture after his interview stating that he showed his support for the democrats with the blue jacket.

Lafayette junior Torrance Randolph admits he is no stranger to the problems of street violence, gangs, shootings, and everything in between that robs mostly minorities of their childhood. These kids have family that commonly die from violent causes and rely on the government for support to live so to see the government discriminate even in this day and age is disgusting to them especially when they nothing about the way they live. He was understandably angry with Trump and controversies that he has created through his use of social media, rallies, etc. In Torrance’s eyes, Trump is a rude person overall who he feels stands over the less fortunate that are struggling to make ends meet. “He judges us without even seeing our faces, he ain’t ever seen his cousin get shot or had to live with no power cuz’ his ma can’t pay the bill. How am I gonna look up to somebody like that or even respect him. he says about his feelings on Trump.”

When it came to the impeachment however, he felt a sort of empathy to Trump’s situation. Torrance and others know very well how it feels to be accused and declared guilty before they even have the chance to defend themselves. His empathy for Trump’s situation in the impeachment inquiry only strengthened when he found out about the congressional trials. “I ain’t fair for me to expect him to get it though, how is he supposed to know what it’s like to live on the other side of the tracks, if I want him to know what it’s like for a brotha out here then I gotta take the first step and try to feel how he feels,” Randolph said.

Lafayette High School Student Caden James watching his presidents rally with intense passion for the change Trump promises to bring.

He is appalled at the idea of the people who stereotyped and marginalized his people based on appearances are the ones representing them. If they can’t represent them on simple laws, how can they decide on a matter as important as impeachment? He sees his community not represented and resented by the people who are make the laws he abides by. When asked if he had anything to say to Trump to show him how he feels, with all the problems in our current government, he paused and then looked me in the eyes and said, “I forgive you.”

These powerful words show us just how much most people tend to stereotype. It is a grave shame that we can’t expect to hear these words as most of the House of Representatives have nothing but hate and, have a severely prejudiced opinion of them, it’s evident through the connections of donors, policies of the parties, and the laws they refuse to at least attempt to change, specifically Trump’s immigration orders, that the republican members have these views. How can a Representative complain to the american people about the controversies surrounding Trump yet do nothing in the investigation that would significantly help?

Lafayette students, Joey Sims and Caden James, fiercely argue on their president after Caden recently donated to the Trump campaign.

They never represent the people they’re elected by, they represent the hate that these people have and they twist out of control to gain popularity. We don’t need that hate to cause change, we need peace, understanding, and forgiveness just like what Torrance showed us. Martin Luther King Jr. did not scream at the white men, but rather marched and debated. Ghandi never took up a rifle to his attackers but rather forgave their crimes and moved on. Everyone is capable of those changes through peaceful means, but because we see politicians yelling at each other in debates we feel that we need to take up arms against those we disagree with. One day maybe people will broadcast those who forgive like Torrance but until then we won’t have the permanent change we need.