• November 16Boys placed 9th out of 12 teams with Loudon Valley placing 1st with 47pts

• November 16Basketball, Swimming and Track are just starting up, so stay tuned for scores!

• November 12Boys XC Places 9th in State, Steck 3rd

Spring 2017 Track Season Preview

A closer look at what is to come, individual record setters

Senior Rashawn Smith during a race

Senior Rashawn Smith during a race

Brad Howe

Brad Howe

Senior Rashawn Smith during a race

Justin Wilson, Journalist

The track team is one of Lafayette High School’s most decorated programs. In the past 4 years the boys and girl’s teams have been to the VYSA state meets and The Penn Relays.

One of Lafayette’s best runners is Senior Brook Crookston. She is the school’s record holder for the 1000m, having broken her own record 3 times in a row. I asked her what the goals for the season were. She said that they were “to break a five-minute mile, get at least runner-up at States and break [her] personal recorded in the 800.” These are very challenging goals to accomplish, so I asked her how she planned on achieving them? She said, “I want to improve on my mental game, I need to be more positive.” Reflecting on past seasons, Crookston said her favorite memories were beating the school’s 1000-meter record three times, but also being injured and getting second in the mile.”

Courtesy of Serenity Chavez

Senior Serenity Chavez warming up

Serenity Chavez is another strong long distance runner at Lafayette. A senior, she recently committed to continue to run track at George Mason University. I asked her what her goals were for her final season. “I want to place higher in States and go to Nationals,” she said, adding that she wanted to improve on her times, speed and strength. “I’m going to work hard and train every day.” I asked her what her favorite memories were from last season? She said “My favorite moments were running during a tornado warning, and when the track and school was covered in snow and we ran in the snow.”

Photo Courtesy of Brad Howe

Brad Howe
Senior Rashawn Smith during a race

Rashawn Smith is a Lafayette senior and one of the fastest in the 55 and 100m, recently having tied the school 55m record at 6.52. “I only have one goal this season,” Smith said in a recent interview. His personal improvement goals include improving time and, speed in the 100m and 400m, respectively. I asked him how he would achieve these goals, and he said he would work harder in practice. Smith relishes the memory of “going to Penn Relays with Devin Underwood and Michael Tyler, and watching the USA team run while we were there.”

Courtesy of Audrey Hurley

Audrey Hurley during a race

Audrey Hurley is one of Lafayette’s most decorated female long distance runners. Audrey was a senior state champion in the 500m. “I want to win the 400m in states for sure,” she said without hesitation, adding that, “My mentally is the most important, I’m not confident enough, secondly I plan on being more consistent with training. I’m going to practice every day and think positive.” She explained.