150 Years of West Virginia University

The celebration of a great college

Kelsey Huckins

The university logo

150 years ago, West Virginia University was established in Morgantown, West Virginia. It is the only government land-grant university in the state. Over the years, it has become a large school offering almost any major, and their football and basketball have risen to be the some of the best teams in the country, consistently being ranked Top 20 in both. However, the football and basketball teams are not

The Mountaineers Basketball Coliseum, which was built in 1970.

the best teams at this nationally ranked school. The Rifle Team is 2nd in the nation, and just recently won their 5th consecutive national title. With incredible academics and athletics, there is much to celebrate on this sesquicentennial year of West Virginia University.

The celebrations began February 7, 2017, because no party is ever too big in Morgantown. Cookouts in front of Woodburn Hall, one of the oldest buildings on campus which houses Art and Science majors, are very popular amongst students. The school provides the students with free burgers, hot dogs, and a good time making it something the most of the students have looked forward to this year.

West Virginia University sent an email out to all students to create a t-shirt, on sale now, to celebrate 150 years. The students designed the entire t-shirt, an interesting way to get all of the students involved in this memental event.

The Twitter page has also been sending out a daily “Reason to Love WVU”. The tweets draw from what students have sent in to the Twitter page about what they love about being a Mountaineer and living in Morgantown.

West Virginia University will be having a birthday party for the school on June 20, 2017 in Morgantown. For more information visit http://birthday.wvu.edu/.