Lafayette Continues to Impress With the One Acts

At the end of each show the group of actors are handed out awards. Photo by Zack Tayman

xSOHHJ-r
The Juniors show off their serious side in the One Acts . Photo by Zack Tayman

The end of the school year is quickly approaching, filling students with mixes of emotions from terror, denial, and an eagerness for the future. At the end of each year, Lafayette High school produces a short play per grade, known as the One Acts. This year, the One Acts definitely did not disappoint, as each play was humorous, interesting, and produced in a way that seemed individualized for their own grade. The Freshman play was “Alice in Wonderland,”  the Sophomores did their own take on “Little Red Riding Hood,” the Juniors did a speed-dating skit, and the Seniors made a how-to guide on Surviving a Zombie Apocalypse.

HCkjSdSV
The Juniors entice the audience with an “awkward” moment . Photo by Zack Tayman

The freshman play was well-produced and showed the potential that the upcoming class has in the theatre department. Every mood that was emitted from the cast was easily perceived by the audience, and proved that the freshman class has some serious talent. The Sophomore’s twist on “Little Red Riding Hood” won the award of the night, because of its comical moments and intense switches from funny to serious. One minute you could be laughing at a funny pun that was cleverly added into the script, the next you’d be scared because you didn’t know what was going to happen to Little Red! The Juniors play was by far my favorite, maybe because I am a little biased and love seeing all my friends do something so wonderful. It had an excellent balance between the jokes, making it a constant funny. Everyone in it was dedicated to making the play as funny as it could be. With the mix between current jokes that only high schoolers would get, and jokes that even made the parents burst out laughing, this play lightened the mood and definitely didn’t disappoint anyone. The Senior play was the final piece for the night, and while all of the right elements were there to make it a hilarious and thrilling skit, there was a constant underlying theme of sadness. These seniors have been giving their talents to the Lafayette theatre program for the past four years, and to see them leaving brought a somber note. The skit was funny, and had sweet moments of intimacy between the cast members, as if it was their last time acting together.

Overall, the One Acts exceeded expectations, and everyone seemed to have a great time. Just as quickly as the end of this year happened, next year is sure to fly by, and I’m just as excited for the One Acts to come.